Linearity of A Hermitian Operator

In summary, the conversation is about showing that if an operator is linear, then its Hermitian conjugate is also linear. The suggestion is to use an inner product and show that the adjoint of the operator satisfies the property of linearity. The conversation also involves discussing the definition of the domain of definition and linearity for unbounded operators in a Hilbert space. It is clarified that this is a purely mathematical problem and not related to quantum mechanics.
buraqenigma
Can anybody give me a hint about how can i show that if an operator is linear then it's hermitian conjugate is linear. Thanks for your help from now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the context, but if you have an inner product perhaps you can try to show that
[tex]\langle \psi | T^* (\alpha \phi + \beta \psi) \rangle = \langle \psi | \alpha T^* \phi + \beta T^* \psi \rangle [/tex]
for any [itex]\psi, \phi, \chi \in \operatorname{domain} T[/itex], which would prove the linearity of [itex]T^*[/itex]?

i want to say that how can i show if [tex]A[/tex] is linear , [tex]A^\dagger[/tex] is linear.i don't know where can i start.please help.

2 questions for the OP:
* How do you define the domain of definition of the adjoint of a (possibly unbounded) densly defined linear operator in a Hilbert space ?
* What is the definition of linearity for an unbounded operator in a Hilbert space ?

I asked these 2 qtns because we want to the give the proof in the most general case, namely when the operator is unbounded but linear and densly defined.

And btw, this is a purely mathematical problem, it has nothing to do with quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
Explaining

if A is lineer operator

A[af(x)+bg(x)]=aAf(x) + bAg(x)

x is the parameter of functions in Hilbert space

Last edited:
And how is [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] defined?

Related to Linearity of A Hermitian Operator

What is the definition of a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of linear operator that satisfies the property of self-adjointness. This means that the operator is equal to its own adjoint, which is the conjugate transpose of the operator.

What does it mean for an operator to be linear?

A linear operator is one that obeys the properties of linearity, which are additivity and homogeneity. This means that the operator preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

How is the linearity of a Hermitian operator important in quantum mechanics?

The linearity of a Hermitian operator is crucial in quantum mechanics because it allows for the superposition principle to hold. This means that the operator can act on a linear combination of states and the resulting state will also be a linear combination of the operator's actions on those states.

Can a non-linear operator be Hermitian?

No, a non-linear operator cannot be Hermitian because it would violate the property of linearity. A Hermitian operator must preserve the properties of addition and scalar multiplication, which is not possible for a non-linear operator.

What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator play a crucial role in quantum mechanics. The eigenvalues represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of the operator, while the corresponding eigenvectors represent the states that the system can be in after the measurement. This allows for the prediction of measurement outcomes and the evolution of quantum systems.