Linearising an Inverse Square Law Graph for Gamma Radiation

In summary, the conversation revolved around the process of linearizing a non-linear graph for the inverse square law of gamma radiation. The person asking the question wanted to know what process they should run their results through and what the resulting graph would show. The responders advised against linearizing the graph and suggested using log-log plots instead. They also noted that a least-squares straight-line fit to a transformed problem may not necessarily be a least-squares fit to the original, non-linear relationship.
Bairdo97
1. Homework Statement

A piece of work I am doing for college (UK college that is) has me investigating the inverse square law for gamma radiation. I have collected data and the graph comes out looking right. I want to create a linearised graph of the data to investigate the results further. If I did this, what process would I run the results through, and what would the graph (e.g. gradient and points where the graph crosses the axes) tell me?

To cut it short, if one was to linearise an inverse square law graph, how would one do it, and what would this linearised graph show?

Homework Equations

Intensity = S/(4πr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forums.

There are several different ways of doing this. What are your thoughts so far?

Chet

Bairdo97 said:
1. Homework Statement

A piece of work I am doing for college (UK college that is) has me investigating the inverse square law for gamma radiation. I have collected data and the graph comes out looking right. I want to create a linearised graph of the data to investigate the results further. If I did this, what process would I run the results through, and what would the graph (e.g. gradient and points where the graph crosses the axes) tell me?

To cut it short, if one was to linearise an inverse square law graph, how would one do it, and what would this linearised graph show?

Homework Equations

Intensity = S/(4πr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Why do you want to linearise something that is not linear? What can you do with a linearised graph that you cannot do with a more accurate non-linear graph? Frankly, the whole exercise strikes me as unscientific and inappropriate, and unless an instructor has ordered you to do it (I hope not!) you should not do it.

Ray Vickson said:
Why do you want to linearise something that is not linear? What can you do with a linearised graph that you cannot do with a more accurate non-linear graph? Frankly, the whole exercise strikes me as unscientific and inappropriate, and unless an instructor has ordered you to do it (I hope not!) you should not do it.
He's not actually talking about linearizing the relationship about some point. He is talking about plotting the data in such a way that the results all fall on a straight line. In this way, he can determine, from the slope and intercept, the parameter values (provided the equation is a good representation of the data). One way, for example, would be to plot I vs 1/r2.

Chestermiller said:
He's not actually talking about linearizing the relationship about some point. He is talking about plotting the data in such a way that the results all fall on a straight line. In this way, he can determine, from the slope and intercept, the parameter values (provided the equation is a good representation of the data). One way, for example, would be to plot I vs 1/r2.

OK, in that case he would be doing something quite standard.

He should realize, though, that a least-squares straight-line fit (say) to a transformed problem is not necessarily a least-squares fit to the original, nonlinear relationship. If the errors in the fit are "small" it won't make much difference, but if they are "large" the two fits could disagree significantly. (In other words, if one transforms the data, fits a straight line, then reverse-transforms the fit, one might not always obtain a nonlinear formula that is close to the one obtained by doing a least-squares fit directly on the original data.) It all depends on the details of the functions and the transformations performed.

Ray Vickson said:
OK, in that case he would be doing something quite standard.

He should realize, though, that a least-squares straight-line fit (say) to a transformed problem is not necessarily a least-squares fit to the original, nonlinear relationship. If the errors in the fit are "small" it won't make much difference, but if they are "large" the two fits could disagree significantly. (In other words, if one transforms the data, fits a straight line, then reverse-transforms the fit, one might not always obtain a nonlinear formula that is close to the one obtained by doing a least-squares fit directly on the original data.) It all depends on the details of the functions and the transformations performed.
By the way, the example I gave in post #3 is definitely not the way I would plot the data. I would be thinking more in terms of log-log plots.

Chet

Related to Linearising an Inverse Square Law Graph for Gamma Radiation

1. How do you linearise an inverse square law graph for gamma radiation?

To linearise an inverse square law graph for gamma radiation, you need to plot the inverse of the distance on the x-axis and the measured radiation intensity on the y-axis. This will result in a straight line, which follows the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. Why is it important to linearise an inverse square law graph for gamma radiation?

Linearising the graph allows for a better visualization and understanding of the relationship between distance and radiation intensity. It also makes it easier to accurately calculate the slope and intercept, which can then be used to determine the original inverse square law equation.

3. What is the significance of the slope in a linearised inverse square law graph for gamma radiation?

The slope of the linearised graph represents the proportionality constant in the original inverse square law equation. It is a measure of how much the radiation intensity decreases as the distance from the source increases.

4. Can linearising an inverse square law graph for gamma radiation improve the accuracy of measurements?

Yes, linearising the graph can improve the accuracy of measurements by allowing for a more precise determination of the slope and intercept. This, in turn, leads to a more accurate calculation of the original inverse square law equation and a better understanding of the relationship between distance and radiation intensity.

5. Are there any limitations to linearising an inverse square law graph for gamma radiation?

One limitation is that linearising the graph assumes a perfect inverse square law relationship, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the accuracy of the linearised graph depends on the accuracy of the distance and radiation intensity measurements, which may have some degree of error.