Linear vs non linear matter power spectrum

In summary, the difference between the linear and non-linear matter power spectrum lies in their mathematical descriptions of large scale structure formation. The linear power spectrum is based on the Fourier transform of the 2-point correlation function of the density field and is accurate for very large scales. However, at small scales, the non-linear gravitational collapse affects the dynamics, leading to the use of non-linear power spectrum approximations. The determination of when to use the non-linear power spectrum is based on the noticeable difference between the linear and non-linear approximations. For further information, refer to Peebles' book from 1980 or the provided link.
Jip
Hi,

I have troubles understanding the difference between linear and non linear matter power spectrum. These words are commonly used in the litterature, but I have found no definitions yet.

My understanding is that there is one definition of the power spectrum for matter distribution, basically as the Fourier transform of the 2-point correlation function of the density field.

It covers both very large scales where linear approximation for the dynamics should be accurate, while at small scales the non linear gravitational collapse heavily impacts the dynamics.
Still, we have only one power spectrum.

So, what does linear or nonlinear power spectrum refers to? (in terms of maths, I mean)

Thanks for your help!

Space news on Phys.org
If you graph a linear relation the graph will show a straight line whether or not its flat, diagonal or vertical. This is described as value a is directly or indirectly proportional to value b.
A non linear relation will be a curve, examples include bell curves, sinusoidal wave forms
etc. Hence non linear.
value a is exponentially proportional to b. This type of relation will give a bell curve

Yes, I'am aware of this, but I'm rather talking about mathematical description of large scale structure formation! I have found that details can be found in peeble's book, 1980. But I don't have it. Any other ref is welcome! :)

Ah ok wasn't sure on what you were unclear on. I may have an article that will help but I'll have to dig around in my archives to find it.

Jip said:
Hi,

I have troubles understanding the difference between linear and non linear matter power spectrum. These words are commonly used in the litterature, but I have found no definitions yet.

My understanding is that there is one definition of the power spectrum for matter distribution, basically as the Fourier transform of the 2-point correlation function of the density field.

It covers both very large scales where linear approximation for the dynamics should be accurate, while at small scales the non linear gravitational collapse heavily impacts the dynamics.
Still, we have only one power spectrum.

So, what does linear or nonlinear power spectrum refers to? (in terms of maths, I mean)

Thanks for your help!
Well, I think the general idea is to start using the non-linear power spectrum at the scales in which there is a noticeable difference between the linear power spectrum and the non-linear approximations. I doubt there is a firm limit on precisely where this occurs, but the best way to investigate it is probably to start investigating some nonlinear power spectrum approximations.

Related to Linear vs non linear matter power spectrum

1. What is the difference between linear and non-linear matter power spectrum?

The linear matter power spectrum is a theoretical model that describes the distribution of matter in the universe on large scales, assuming that the matter is not affected by nonlinear effects such as gravity. On the other hand, the non-linear matter power spectrum takes into account the effects of gravity and other nonlinear processes, resulting in a more accurate representation of the distribution of matter on smaller scales.

2. How is the matter power spectrum calculated?

The matter power spectrum is calculated by analyzing the distribution of matter in the universe through techniques such as galaxy surveys or cosmic microwave background radiation. This data is then compared to theoretical models, such as those based on the theory of general relativity, to determine the power spectrum.

3. What is the significance of studying the matter power spectrum?

Studying the matter power spectrum can provide valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe. It can help us understand the distribution of matter and how it has changed over time, as well as providing evidence for the presence of dark matter and dark energy.

4. How does the matter power spectrum relate to cosmological parameters?

The shape and amplitude of the matter power spectrum are affected by various cosmological parameters, such as the amount of dark matter and dark energy in the universe. By measuring the matter power spectrum, scientists can constrain these parameters and gain a better understanding of the fundamental properties of our universe.

5. Can the matter power spectrum be used to test theories of gravity?

Yes, the matter power spectrum can be used to test theories of gravity, such as general relativity. By comparing the observed power spectrum to predictions from different theories, scientists can determine which theory best fits the data and make advancements in our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics.