Linear transformer and coupling coefficient

In summary: I'm assuming that the real and imaginary part of the impedance are related somehow?In summary, the equation for the complex input impedance as a function of frequency is as follows:Zab = R1 + jωL1 + (ω^2)(k(sqrt(L1L2)^2) + jωC)
Rombus

Homework Statement

The coupoing coefficient of K' of a linear transformer is adjusted so that Zab is purely reissitive when ω= 25k rad/s. What is Zab?

xik9W.png

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to being this problem. For one, from what I've been reading I'm not sure how the connection between frequency and Zab is made. Also, I'm not sure what the question is asking for by 'purely resistive'. Does this mean there is no comblex part?

I'm pretty sure I understand the coupling coefficient. I'm not sure how to apply it to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rombus said:

Homework Statement

The coupoing coefficient of K' of a linear transformer is adjusted so that Zab is purely reissitive when ω= 25k rad/s. What is Zab?

xik9W.png

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to being this problem. For one, from what I've been reading I'm not sure how the connection between frequency and Zab is made. Also, I'm not sure what the question is asking for by 'purely resistive'. Does this mean there is no comblex part?

I'm pretty sure I understand the coupling coefficient. I'm not sure how to apply it to this problem.

Yes, the "purely resistive" part means that the imaginary part of the complex impedance is zero at that frequency.

Write the equation for the complex input impedance as a function of ω, including the turns ratio and the coupling coefficient. Then set the frequency as instructed, and solve for the value of K' that will cause the imaginary part of the impedance to go to zero...

Thank you for the reply.

So if my equation is:
[tex]
\bf{Z}ab R_1 + j \omega L_1 + \frac { \omega^2 (k ( \sqrt{L_1 L_2)^2} {R_2 + \frac{1} {j \omega C}} + j \omega L_2)}
[/tex]

I solve for k, the coupling coefficent so that the imaginary part of the impedence is zero?

Is K' the same as k? Or is K' my mutual inductance that I find?

Edit: Not sure why my code isn't displaying correctly.

Last edited:

Related to Linear transformer and coupling coefficient

1. What is a linear transformer?

A linear transformer is an electrical device that transfers energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of insulated wire wound around a common iron core.

2. How does a linear transformer work?

A linear transformer works by utilizing Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary coil. This voltage can then be used to power devices connected to the secondary circuit.

3. What is the purpose of the coupling coefficient in a linear transformer?

The coupling coefficient, also known as the mutual inductance, is a measure of how closely coupled the primary and secondary coils are in a linear transformer. It determines the amount of energy that is transferred from the primary to the secondary coil and affects the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

4. How is the coupling coefficient calculated?

The coupling coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the mutual inductance between the primary and secondary coils to the square root of the product of their individual inductances. It is represented by the symbol k and can range from 0 to 1, with a higher value indicating a more tightly coupled transformer.

5. What factors affect the coupling coefficient in a linear transformer?

The coupling coefficient is affected by the distance between the primary and secondary coils, the number of turns in each coil, and the magnetic permeability of the core material. It can also be adjusted by changing the physical orientation of the coils or by adding a magnetic material between them.