Linear Transformations: Proving Linearity and Finding Inverse Functions

In summary, linear transformations can be determined by their action on basis vectors and can be tested using the definition of a linear transformation. To prove a function is a linear transformation, it must satisfy the conditions of the definition. To show that a function is not a linear transformation, it only takes one counterexample.
Rizzamabob
"Determine whether each of the following functions is a linear transformation. If you think the
function is a linear transformation then prove that it is. If you think the function is not a linear
transformation then explain why.
(a) T : R2 ! R2; T(x, y) = (x − 2y, 2xy)."

I don't want an answer, i won't to learn how to do these types of problems, i never understood it at all, :confused: And stuff like this ??

T : R4 ! R3; T(x, y, z,w) = (x − 2y, y + w, z).
Find a matrix A such that T(u) = Au, where u 2 R4.

Consider the following linear transformations:
T : R2 ! R3; T(x, y) = (x + 3y, x − y, 2x),
S : R3 ! R3; S(x, y, z) = (x − 2y, y + z,−z).
(a) Is the composite linear transformation S  T defined? If S  T is defined, write down
formula for S  T.
(b) Does the linear transformation S have an inverse? Give a reason for your answer.

Can you guys give me a link or something where i can learn wtf this means i never understood linear transformations, and i bombed out in the exam, but i want to get better. Thanks, BTW I DONT WANT ANSWERS Just want to know how to do all kinds of problems like above

Physics news on Phys.org
To do these problems, you need to know only one thing, the definition of a linear transformation, which should be in your text. Note that an immediate theorem from the definition is that a linear transformation on a vector space is completely defined by its action on the basis vectors of a basis of that space. This is where you can get your matrix components from.

Since you want to "know how to do these types of problems", the answer is "Use the Definitions". To show that something is a "whatever", show that it satisfies the conditions for "whatever". As hypermorphism said, a linear transformation, L, satisfies
L(au+ bv)= aLu+ bLv. That's the definition (some times given as two parts: L(au)= aLu and L(u+ v)= L(u)+ L(v) but it's the same thing). Since that is an equation, plug what you are given into the equation and see if it works!

For example, suppose T is defined by T(x,y)= (2x+y, x2)
Set u= (p,q), v= (r,s) )(p,q,r,s are numbers, of course). Then Tu= T(p,q)= (2p+q,p2), Tv= (2r+s,s2), aTu= (a(2p+q),ap2)= (2ap+aq,ap2), and bTv= (2br+ bs,bs2). au= (ap,aq) and bv= (br,bs) so
T(au+ bv)= T(ap+br,aq+bs)= (2(ap+br)+aq+bs,(aq+bs)2)= ((2ap+aq)+(2br+bs),a2q2+2abqs+ b2s2). The first component of that is, in fact, the same as aTu+ bTv but the second is NOT- it has that extra 2abqs in it. T is not "linear".
In fact, although it is not a proof, observing that "squaring" is NOT linear itself should have told you that this would happen. If you happened to notice that this was not linear,you could have done this by giving a "

Thank you so much, that helped me :cool: Appreciate the help dude

Related to Linear Transformations: Proving Linearity and Finding Inverse Functions

1. What is a linear relation?

A linear relation is a mathematical relationship between two variables that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It follows the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How can I determine if a given relation is linear or not?

To determine if a relation is linear, you can plot the given data points on a graph and see if they form a straight line. Another way is to check if the equation follows the form y = mx + b, where m and b are constants.

3. What is the significance of the slope in a linear relation?

The slope of a linear relation represents the rate of change between the two variables. It tells us how much the dependent variable changes for every one unit change in the independent variable. A positive slope indicates a direct relationship, while a negative slope indicates an inverse relationship.

4. Can a linear relation have a negative slope?

Yes, a linear relation can have a negative slope. This indicates an inverse relationship between the two variables, where an increase in one variable results in a decrease in the other variable.

5. How do I find the equation of a line given two points?

To find the equation of a line given two points, you can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) and plug in the coordinates of the two points to solve for the slope and y-intercept. Alternatively, you can use the point-slope form (y - y1 = m(x - x1)) and plug in the coordinates of one point and the slope to solve for the equation.