The Importance of Theoretical Physics

In summary, theoretical physics plays a crucial role in modern society by pushing the boundaries of our understanding and paving the way for future discoveries and advancements. While some may argue that it has limited practical applications, it has led to innovations such as superconductors, fusion reactors, and GPS systems. Ultimately, the pursuit of knowledge and the desire to understand the fundamental workings of the universe are important in their own right. As Richard Feynman said, "the only way to increase variety is to implore a few people to take a risk and go figure it out." Despite its lower financial rewards compared to applied physics, the importance of theoretical physics cannot be underestimated.
How do you describe the "theoretical" part??

as far as I know...exclude the problem solving part...rest all is theory...

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by MajinVegeta
lol, yeah, I have trouble with the semantics too. But I like to excuse it all by saying, 'oh, they won't catch it!'. My definition of theoretical physics is (when I'm telling someone in a conversation): "First off :physics is a science which mathematically specifies the physical prospects of the universe. Secondly, theoretical physics is what describes the theoretical aspects of physics."
the common question: "Theoretical? what's that?"

"Just things that can't ALWAYS be tested physically, but mathematically. Theoretically. Things like the quantum chromodynamics of the Big Bang, parallel universes."

Even then, I am very mad at myself, for not giving an accurate definition. What I usually say isn't the best, but its a start. Even after what I said (above), people stare at me blankly. I think I should memorize I dictionary definition:

Tha above is only a definition of 'physics', but not theoretical physics. How do you describe the "theoretical" part?? that's what I'm having trouble with.

Who is your audience? You said English. Everything I have read would still sound complicated to a non-technical person. But as far as defining theoretical, do you just need a good synonym? How about the abstract or conceptual development or modeling as opposed to testing. If you get too specific you may quickly lose people with the details.

My audience is usually non-technical people, who have no background in physics expcept for their high school physics class. So I should be general?
Should I just say "Physics is the study of movement"? That's very general.

Theoretical physics = mathematical reasons of why universe is such.

or rather theoretical physics=mathematical theories that describe the universe. Your way of putting it, Alexander, defines m-theory.

or rather theoretical physics=mathematical theories that describe the universe. Your way of putting it, Alexander, defines m-theory.

Not really, as M-Theory takes a string/brane approach to the answering of that question. He is describing a T.O.E., IMO.

The definition of "theory" is the product of rigorously testing an hypothesis. IOW, if you have an hypothesis (a testable speculation) and you test it rigorously (and it passes all of the tests), then it "graduates" to "theory".

To say that theoretical physics is restricted to M theory or a TOE is wrong. Theoretical physics is physics using calculations rather than working on devices or experiments.

As such, QM is a main part ot theoretial physics, as is GR.

Any TOEs are pointless in a practical scenario, as QM and GR are correct in the situations in which they are considered.

You will find a very few theoretical physicsists working on M theory. Even in the maths departments, they are still mainly working on QM & GR.

My audience is usually non-technical people, who have no background in physics expcept for their high school physics class. So I should be general?
Should I just say "Physics is the study of movement"? That's very general.

if you want them to understand what theoretical physics is... i think that tell them exactly the word from the dictionary. i think they will be more clearer because dictionary is for someone who don't understand some word.