Diluting Robutussin: Effects & Considerations

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, drinking water after taking Robutussin can dilute the dose and may not be as effective as taking the medication whole.
Mentat
As some of you already know, I have been a little sick for a few days now. One of my symptoms is strong coughing, so I have been taking Robutussin. However, I cannot stand the awful taste of Robutussin, so I always drink a glass of water after taking it. There didn't seem to be anything wrong, until someone told me that I was diluting the Robutussin, by drinking water after taking it, and that it wasn't being as effective as it could be. Is this so? If so, then how much difference is there supposed to be (since I have noticed considerable improvement despite drinking water)?

Any response is appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes your are diluting your medication but it does not matter because your took to whole thing. It would matter if you only took half of what is recommended.

Originally posted by iansmith
Yes your are diluting your medication but it does not matter because your took to whole thing. It would matter if you only took half of what is recommended.

Thanks, iansmith.

The robutussin is diluted in your body. So the dose is calculated for what the average person weighs. So unless you're drinking a couple hundred kilos of water it's not going to make that much of a difference. Although it's always good to read the labeling. Lots of medications say you're not supposed to eat for awhile after taking medicine. Albeit for other reasons.

I have never hear of Robutussin before, or what the mode of action is.. but isn't a cough medicine supposed to adhere to the lining of your throat, so that it can lessen the irritation? In that case I wouldn't be drinking water right after it, but rather wait a while. You COULD rinse your mouth and suck on a sweet to get rid of the taste..

Get well soon!

Robitussin has the active ingredient dextromethorphan hydrobromide. It's not used to coat the throat but rather to supress brain signals which lead to coughing. Dextromethorphan is actually a potent psychoactive when taken at high doses, though in most medications it's mixed with acetaminophen and/or other chemicals which can be very harmful/lethal when taken at high doses with dextromethorphan.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm feeling much better now (found out it was a sinus infection, and am taking antibiotics), and so I don't even take the Robutussin any more (thank God! ).

that would be from a bacterial infection right?

I remember last time i went to the doctors to check out a throat infection, to make sure it wasn't anything serious. And wham, doesn't even look at the throat and out spills a prescription for anti-biotics , which of course has no effect on viral infections.

I had that too once in the US, they leave you sitting in a waiting room for like two hours, then they didn't want to take me since my insurance was not standard - but even though very valid - finally after finding a doctor who would take me, they just sent me home with trial antibiotics (those ones they get for free) and, ofcourse, those antibiotics didn't work and after a few days I couldn't even swallow. Then I called a friend from work, who was a MD, she prescribed me antibiotics through the phone. After a lot of pain and suffering I finally came over it :) that wasn't a fun experience though.

1. What is the purpose of diluting Robutussin?

Diluting Robutussin is mainly done to reduce the concentration of the medication in order to decrease its potential side effects and make it easier to swallow. It can also be used to make the medication last longer, as a smaller dose can be taken more frequently.

2. How should Robutussin be diluted?

Robutussin should be diluted with water, juice, or another liquid as directed by a doctor or pharmacist. It is important to follow the recommended dilution instructions to ensure the medication is effectively and safely diluted.

3. What are the potential side effects of diluting Robutussin?

The most common side effects of diluting Robutussin include dizziness, drowsiness, and upset stomach. In rare cases, it may cause more serious side effects such as difficulty breathing or an allergic reaction. It is important to consult a doctor if any concerning side effects occur.

4. Can I dilute Robutussin with other medications?

It is not recommended to mix Robutussin with other medications without consulting a doctor or pharmacist first. Some medications may interact with Robutussin and cause harmful effects. Always check with a healthcare professional before combining medications.

5. Are there any special considerations when diluting Robutussin for children?

Yes, there are special considerations when diluting Robutussin for children. The dosage and dilution instructions may vary based on the child's weight and age. It is important to follow the recommended guidelines and consult a pediatrician before giving Robutussin to a child.