Linear motion with variable forces

In summary, a car of mass 1200kg is pushed by two people with a total force of (240-12t) Newtons for 20 seconds until the force becomes zero. The car then moves at a velocity of 2 m/s and travels a distance of 80/3 meters. There may be a small discrepancy in the book's answer due to a typo.
jiayingsim123

Homework Statement

A car of mass 1200kg is at rest on a level road. Two people push it, producing a total force given by (240-12t) Newtons, where t is the time in seconds, until this becomes zero after 20 seconds. How fast is the car then moving, and how far does it move while it is being pushed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer for the first part of the question, which asks how fast the car is then moving, but I can't get the answer for the second part of the question. I got 80/3m instead of 8/3m as stated in the book. Here is my attempt at the question.
m=1200kg
F=(240-12t)N
F=ma
a=F/m=0.2-0.01t

v=∫0.2-0.01tdt (with upper limit=20 and lower limit 0)
= [0.2t-(0.01t^2)/2] (with upper limit=20 and lower limit=0)
= 4-2
= 2 (this is the correct answer)

s = ∫0.2t-(0.01t^2)/2dt (with upper limit=20 and lower limit=0)
= 80/3m

Please include detailed explanations along with your solution, thanks! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 26.67 m for the answer, same as you. Look at the result from a kinetic energy standpoint to see who is right or wrong. You have the velocity so you can easily determine the kinetic energy. Take your two possible answers in meters and divide each into the kinetic energy. Which falls in the force bracket when you evaluate the force function?

Hi jiayingsim123. Welcome to PF :smile:

I think your answer is correct, and probably just is a small typo in the book.

Related to Linear motion with variable forces

What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line with constant speed and direction.

What is variable force?

Variable force is a force that changes in magnitude and/or direction over time. This can cause changes in the speed or direction of an object's linear motion.

How does variable force affect linear motion?

Variable force can cause changes in the speed or direction of an object's linear motion. For example, if a car is driving on a road with hills, the force of gravity will vary as the car goes up and down the hills, affecting its speed and direction of motion.

How is variable force measured?

Variable force can be measured using a force sensor, which can detect changes in the force acting on an object. This data can then be used to calculate the acceleration and changes in motion caused by the variable force.

What are some real-life examples of linear motion with variable forces?

Some examples include a rollercoaster going up and down hills, a ball being kicked or thrown, a car driving on a road with hills or curves, and a rocket launching into space.