Linear Momentum Pellet Gun Problem

In summary, a boy shoots his pellet gun at a piece of cheese sitting on a block of ice, causing the cheese to slide 25 cm before coming to a stop. Using the conservation of momentum, it can be determined that the final speed of the cheese is 0 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the cheese and ice can then be calculated using Newton's second law, resulting in a value of 0.08.
maniacp08
Bored, a boy shoots his pellet gun at a piece of cheese that sits, keeping cool for dinner guests, on a massive block of ice. On one particular shot, his 1.1 g pellet gets stuck in the cheese, causing it to slide 25 cm before coming to a stop. If the muzzle velocity of the gun is 76 m/s and the cheese has a mass of 136 g, what is the coefficient of friction between the cheese and ice?

Relevant equations:
Momentum = Mass * Velocity

This would be an example of an inelastic collision where the two objects stick together.
The KE is not conserved.

I converted the mass of the pellet and the cheese to kg.
Mass of pellet = .0011kg
Mass of cheese = .136kg

Momentum of the pellet = .0011kg * 76m/s = .0836 kg m/s
The momentum will be conserved because there is no external forces.

This is as far as I got, can someone tell me how should I approach this next?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since momentum is conserved, find the speed of the cheese+pellet immediately after the collision. Then apply some kinematics to find the acceleration due to friction.

So I have mass of the pellet * Vi = mass of pellet + mass of cheese * Vf
.0011kg * .76m/s = (.0011kg + .136kg) * Vf
Vf = .61m/s

The only kinematics equation that do not deal with time is
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2 * A * D
I converted 25cm to .25m to be consistent

(.61m/s)^2 = (.76m/s)^2 + 2 * A * (.25m)
I got A = -.41m/s

Is this right to have a negative acc.?

If this is all right, do I continue with Newtons 2nd law to solve for the coefficient of friction?
F = MA?

maniacp08 said:
So I have mass of the pellet * Vi = mass of pellet + mass of cheese * Vf
.0011kg * .76m/s = (.0011kg + .136kg) * Vf
Vf = .61m/s
Your formula is correct, but redo your calculation being careful with the decimal point.

The only kinematics equation that do not deal with time is
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2 * A * D
I converted 25cm to .25m to be consistent
Good.

(.61m/s)^2 = (.76m/s)^2 + 2 * A * (.25m)
I got A = -.41m/s
Several problems: The speed immediately after the collision becomes your initial velocity for this part of the problem. After the collision, the .76 m/s is no longer relevant. What's the final speed of the block of cheese?

Is this right to have a negative acc.?
Sure. That just means the cheese was slowing down.

If this is all right, do I continue with Newtons 2nd law to solve for the coefficient of friction?
F = MA?
Yes.

Yeah, I put it as .76m/s instead of 76m/s =[ Clumsy me.

The new final velocity would be 0 since it eventually stops.
0 = (.61m/s)^2 + 2 * A * (.25m)
I have A = -.74m/s

2nd part I have the forces in the Y direction:
Fn = MG where M = mass of cheese + mass of pellet
Fn = (.1371)kg*(9.81)m/s = 1.3J

The forces in the X direction:
There is just the force of friction correct?
so is
-Uk(Fn) = M * A
-Uk(1.3J) = .1371kg * (-.74m/s)
Uk = .08

Am I correct?

My only suggestion is not to round off intermediate calculations--wait until the last step. Other than that, perfect!

Thanks Doc for your help =].

Related to Linear Momentum Pellet Gun Problem

1. What is a Linear Momentum Pellet Gun?

A Linear Momentum Pellet Gun is a device used to demonstrate the principle of conservation of momentum. It consists of a spring-loaded gun that shoots a small pellet or ball horizontally into a stationary target.

2. How does a Linear Momentum Pellet Gun work?

When the pellet is fired from the gun, it has a certain momentum in the forward direction. According to the law of conservation of momentum, this momentum must be conserved. As a result, the pellet transfers its momentum to the target, causing it to move in the opposite direction.

3. What is the purpose of using a Linear Momentum Pellet Gun?

The purpose of using a Linear Momentum Pellet Gun is to visually demonstrate the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This principle is important in understanding the motion of objects and collisions.

4. How is the velocity of the pellet affected by the mass of the target?

The velocity of the pellet is not affected by the mass of the target. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the system must remain constant. Therefore, the velocity of the pellet will be the same regardless of the target's mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Linear Momentum Pellet Gun?

The Linear Momentum Pellet Gun can be used in various industries, such as automobile safety testing and sports equipment design, to understand the effects of collisions and the importance of momentum conservation. It is also commonly used in physics classrooms as a hands-on demonstration of the principle of conservation of momentum.