Linear momentum- moving blocks and attatched spring

In summary: Psys+WksIn summary, the system has a net increase in kinetic energy (due to the spring) and this is offset by a decrease in linear momentum (due to the collision).
rmunoz

Homework Statement

In the figure below, block 1 (mass 1.6 kg) is moving rightward at 12 m/s and block 2 (mass 4.8 kg) is moving rightward at 2.8 m/s. The surface is frictionless, and a spring with spring constant of 1100 N/m is fixed to block 2. When the blocks collide, the compression of the spring is maximum at the instant the blocks have the same velocity. Find the maximum compression.
http://www.webassign.net/halliday8e/pc/halliday8019c09/halliday8019c09-fig-0065.htm

Homework Equations

m1(i)v1(i) + m2(i)v2(i) = m1(f)v1(f) + m2(f)v2(f)
p=mv
KE=1/2mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Work-spring=1/2kx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum before collision:
P1+P2= Psys
m1v1 + m2v2 = Psys
1.6kg*12m/s +4.8kg*2.8m/s= 19.2 kg*m/s + 13.44 kg*m/s = 32.64 kg*m/s

work done by spring on object 1 = change in object 1's kinetic energy ?

Momentum after collision of object 1 will be negative, and momentum of object 2 will have increased in the positive direction.

Questions:
1) how do i relate the compression of the spring to the linear momentum of the system?
2) how do i tell weather or not linear momentum is conserved (in general, not just in the scope of this problem)
3) how can i relate the change in kinetic energy due to the spring to the change in the momentum of object 1 and 2? (or is that at all how i am supposed to approach this problem)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rumonz

can't see the picture but i assume block 1 impacts the spring on block 2?

As for your questions
1) energy of a whole system is always conserved (by a whole system I mean everything that is interacting) - look at the energy in your system
2) linear momentum of a whole system is always conserved
3) You're on the right track... Kinetic energy and momentum are both functions of velocity. And the question asks you the compression of the spring when both masess are moving at the same velocity. Can you solve for this velocity?

So i solved for the velocity by the following:
Psys=32.64kg*ms
V1=V2

m1v1(comp) + m2v2(comp) = 32.64kg*m/s
v1comp(m1 + m2)= 32.64kg*m/s
v1comp=[32.64kg*m/s]/[6.4kg]
v1comp= 5.1 m/s

Now I am stuck again. I understand that [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE= work and I think that has some relation to the change in kinetic energy of mass 1 by the spring system aka 1/2Kx^2. I want to say that the kinetic energy of mass 1 can be described by adding -1/2Kx^2 (which should be a negative value since its pushing away from object one) to the initial kinetic energy of mass 1. This is what i did to solve for the compression:

1/2m1vo^2 - 1/2kx^2 = KE m1 at fullcompression= Pcompm1(vcomp)(1/2)
yielding:

x^2 (compression distance) = [(m1vo^2)-Pcomp_m1*(vcomp)]/(K)

x= [tex]\sqrt{[230.4kg*m^2/s^2 - 41.616kg* m^2/s^2]/1100}[/tex]
x= .4143 m

What did i do wrong? I suspect I missed something quite large, because the numbers are really not coming out too friendly.

help?

I'm not too sure what you did in the 2nd part

the total energy of the system will be conserved at all time in this case, that amounts to:

[tex] E = KE + PE = (\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_1^2+ \frac{1}{2} m_2 v_2^2) + \frac{1}{2}k x^2 [/tex]

Related to Linear momentum- moving blocks and attatched spring

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is linear momentum related to moving blocks and attached springs?

In the case of moving blocks and attached springs, linear momentum is important in determining the motion of the system. The spring exerts a force on the block, causing it to accelerate and thus, have a change in momentum.

3. How is linear momentum conserved in this system?

In this system, linear momentum is conserved as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before and after the interaction between the block and spring remains constant.

4. What factors affect the linear momentum of a block attached to a spring?

The linear momentum of a block attached to a spring can be affected by the mass of the block, the velocity of the block, and the stiffness of the spring. Any changes in these factors can result in a change in the linear momentum of the system.

5. Can linear momentum be transferred between the block and the spring?

Yes, linear momentum can be transferred between the block and the spring in the form of a force. As the spring compresses or stretches, it exerts a force on the block, resulting in a transfer of linear momentum.