Linear Momentum and Collisions

In summary, the conversation is about using different formulas to calculate linear momentum and collisions in physics. The speaker is struggling with understanding which formula to use and is seeking clarification. The expert explains that these formulas are based on the law of conservation of total momentum and the number of terms depends on the number of objects in the problem. They also provide examples of when different formulas are used.
grigabuoy
H guys,

I want to first start off by saying that I am not here for handout to my homework. I am here because maybe you guys can help me understand physics. I am currently enrolled in a calculus-base physics that is kicking my ass and I need some help understand the different subjects.

Currently I am reviewing, Linear Momentum and Collisions. I wanted to know if there is method that I can use to determine what formula to use.

I know: mV=mv ( V = velocity sub one and v= velocity sub two)

Sometime, depending on the question I can use: mV= mv+mV or mV=(m+m)V etc.

I understand the these formulas can only be used when momentum is conserved but what I do not understand is how to determine what formula to use. Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to PF.

The equations you are quoting are all special cases of the law of conservation of total momentum This means that total momentum before the collision = total momentum after the collision. The number of terms on each side of the equation just depends on the number of objects there are in the problem!

If you are having trouble with any particular problem, then feel free to post it with your thoughts, and we'll try and help you understand further.

Last edited:
(m+M)V is used when objects share the same velocity after a collision. This is a perfectly inelastic collision because they objects stick together.

mv = mv' + MV' would be used when one object is initially at rest. The complete equation would be mv +MV = mv' + MV' , but MV is zero because this mass is initially at rest.

Every problem with momentum is a version of this general case:
m1v1 + M2V2 = m1v1' + M2V2' (the ' indicates after the collision)
Things get simpler when certain things are zero or certain things are common to both objects

Related to Linear Momentum and Collisions

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum conserved in collisions?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. This means that the sum of all the individual momenta of the objects involved in the collision remains constant.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to collisions?

The coefficient of restitution, also known as the restitution coefficient, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach between the two objects.

5. How does the impulse-momentum theorem relate to collisions?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the impulse applied to it. In collisions, this means that the impulse of the collision is equal to the change in momentum of the objects involved.