Hurricanes need names like Jesse, Kobe, Louis and Tupac

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
In summary, Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) suggested that more hurricanes should be named after African Americans, citing the absence of African American names on the list of hurricane names as an act of racism. She proposed names such as Jesse, Kobe, Louis, Tupac, Al, Allen, John Lee, Notorious, Puffy, and Ice-Cube. She argued that this was similar to the FBI's refusal to include black individuals in the serial murderer profile, which she deemed as racist. Others disagreed with her logic, stating that names should not be based on race but rather on the severity of the storm.
kyle_soule
Ah, the life of politics:

Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) had a little time on her hands and decided more hurricanes should be named after African Americans, she sees the absense of African American names as racism.

APPARENTLY blacks don't name their children any of these names:

Alberto
Beryl
Chris
Debby
Ernesto
Florence
Gordon
Helene
Isaac
Joyce
Keith
Leslie
Michael
Nadine
Oscar
Patty
Rafael
Sandy
Tony
Valerie
William
etc, etc.

This is her logic for the reason more hurricanes need names like Jesse, Kobe, Louis and Tupac. Other names such as Al, Allen, John Lee, Notorious, Puffy and Ice-Cube

"We have seen this type of systemic racism before. Until last year, the FBI refused the black man his rightful spot in the serial murderer profile. That is racist and it is wrong! What is needed here is for the World Meteorological Organization to reach out to the African-American community and say, 'Yes! You too are as capable of destruction and death as the white man is.'"

We refused to cast a negative image on the black person due to statistics; I guess black people just haven't earned their right to be on the serial killer list, wouldn't that statement burn her up

I thought this was insane and I thought I would share it with you, what are your comments on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh God.

Please, please, I want a hurricane named after meee!

More farcial OTT PC...

First of all, I find it concerning that Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee is using her time and platform to focus on what names hurricanes are given. There are much more pressing issues that need to be addressed in our country, and this seems like a trivial matter in comparison.

Furthermore, her argument that the absence of African American names in the list of hurricane names is a form of racism is baseless. The names given to hurricanes are chosen from a predetermined list that rotates every six years. These names are not chosen based on race, but rather on a predetermined system.

Additionally, the names given to hurricanes are not meant to glorify or celebrate anyone. They are simply used for identification purposes and to make it easier for people to track and remember multiple storms at once. It is not necessary or appropriate to name hurricanes after specific individuals, especially those who have a history of violence or criminal activity.

I also find it concerning that Representative Jackson-Lee is suggesting names such as "Notorious" and "Puffy" for hurricanes. These names have negative connotations and do not reflect the severity and destruction that hurricanes can cause.

In conclusion, I believe that the names given to hurricanes should not be a political issue and should not be used to push any personal agendas. Let's focus on more important matters and leave the hurricane names to the predetermined list and system in place.

1. Why do hurricanes need names?

Hurricanes need names in order to be easily identified and tracked by meteorologists and the public. It is also easier to remember and refer to a hurricane by name rather than a technical designation.

2. How are hurricane names chosen?

Hurricane names are chosen by the World Meteorological Organization. They have six lists of names that are rotated every six years. Names are typically chosen from a list of common names in the region where the hurricane occurs.

3. Why are some hurricane names retired?

Hurricane names are retired if the storm causes significant damage or loss of life. This is done out of respect for those affected by the storm and to avoid confusion if the same name is used for a future hurricane.

4. Are there any rules for naming hurricanes?

Yes, there are specific rules for naming hurricanes. The names must be easily recognizable, not offensive, and not similar to any recent or retired hurricane names. They also alternate between male and female names.

5. Can individuals choose hurricane names?

No, the World Meteorological Organization is responsible for choosing hurricane names. However, there are opportunities to suggest names for future hurricanes through various organizations and contests.

Back