Troubleshooting Laptop Battery Drain: What Could Be Causing It?

• Thread starter RuroumiKenshin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, someone is experiencing issues with their laptop's battery, with the computer indicating that it is low even when attached to a socket. They have tried changing the placement of the computer and are seeking advice on potential solutions. Some suggestions include checking the battery or cable for flaws, cleaning the battery/cable sockets, or draining and recharging the battery. It is also mentioned that the battery may have a memory problem or that a loose connecting piece may be causing the issue.
RuroumiKenshin
I have a lap top, and for some unknown reason, the computer is telling me that the battery is low. I have it attached to a socket though. I don't know what's wrong! I keep changing where I put the computer (according to the placement of the sockets around my house).
If you know what's possibly wrong??!
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by MajinVegeta
I have a lap top, and for some unknown reason, the computer is telling me that the battery is low. I have it attached to a socket though. I don't know what's wrong! I keep changing where I put the computer (according to the placement of the sockets around my house).
If you know what's possibly wrong??!
Thanks.
1. Your battery is broken or somethin'...
(Try anothet one.)
2. Your cable is flawed. (Do you have a fluke
or something to check conductence, or simply
another cable.)
3. Your laptop's battery/cable socket is flawed.
You can try to clean them (NOT with water ! :smile:).
4. Are there single use (not accumulator) batteries
for lap-tops ? (Maybe it's one of those... :wink:)
5. Are you sure there IS electricity in your house ?

Live long and prosper.

Those batteries can wear out after a while, particularly if they are Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries.

You may simply need to get a new one.

Could be a battery memory problem. Try draining the battery completely then recharging it as recommended in the manual for the first use. Usually that's about 6 hours I think. Sometimes if you charge it for more you get memory problems again. By memory I mean that the battery will only top up to a certain amount if there is already charge in it when you recharge. As far as draining the battery, I'm not sure if windows shuts down at a certain level or not but if it does, maybe if you open in dos or even use a boot disk and just leave it on until it shuts off by itself. If you can run an audio cd it probably wouldn't take as long with all the laser and motor action.

You could also check the manufacturers site and see if they have come across the same problem before. Maybe they already have a fix.

There's some ideas anyway.

Raavin :wink:

I think I did that, Raavin. I left it for a day and when I tried to turn it on, it worked. Then I saw your post, so I guess that's what happened.
THANKS EVERYONE!(Lets hope this isn't temporary! )

cool

Yeah, but the insurance time is done, after only a 2 years. Do I need the inusrance in the first place?

Wierd phenomenon!

My computer has "battery lights", like any other lap top. Anyway, when I put it on my lap, the lights turn green, but when I put it on an inanimate thing, it turns yellow! Can anyone explain why this happens?

note: green=good
yellow=bad

Probably some connecting piece is loose, so the battery kinda 'hangs loose' when it's not on a hard surface. Stupid mechanical things like that break all the time.

even when I put it on a table or something? WHY ME??!:wink:

1. Why is my battery not holding a charge?

There are several possible reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty charging port, a damaged battery, or excessive heat exposure. It is recommended to have the battery and charging port checked by a professional to determine the exact cause.

2. How long should my battery last?

The lifespan of a battery varies depending on factors such as usage, temperature, and overall battery health. However, on average, a battery can last between 2-4 years. It is important to properly maintain and care for your battery to ensure its longevity.

3. Can I overcharge my battery?

Yes, overcharging a battery can cause damage and reduce its lifespan. Most modern devices have safety measures in place to prevent overcharging, but it is still recommended to unplug your device once it is fully charged.

4. Why is my battery draining quickly?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a software bug, background apps draining battery, or a damaged battery. Try closing unnecessary apps and updating your device's software. If the issue persists, it may be time to replace your battery.

5. Can I use a different charger for my battery?

It is generally recommended to use the charger that came with your device to ensure proper charging and avoid damage to the battery. If you must use a different charger, make sure it is compatible with your device and from a reputable brand.