Linear Harmonic Oscilator - QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the wavefunction of a particle in the first excited Eigenstate with energy E and potential V(x) = \frac{Kx^2}{2}. The first excited state is not the same as the ground state and has one node in the wavefunction. The KE will be negative on the left side of the sin wave. The individuals suggest going back to the textbook for further clarification and mention that KE is an operator on wavefunctions.
Brewer
Just a quickie:

A particle is in the first excited Eigenstate of energy E corresponding to the one dimensional potential V(x) = [tex]\frac{Kx^2}{2}[/tex]. Draw the wavefunction of this state, marking where the particles KE is negative.

Now my question.

The first excited state will be n=1 correct? The first excited state is not the ground state under a different name is it?

So if it is n=1, then the wavefunction will look like a sin wave? And the KE will be negative on the left hand side of the sin wave (i.e. where a graph of sin(x) will be negative.)?

Ta guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll have to do more than just guess. But here's a hint. The first excited state is indeed not the ground state. It has one node in the wavefunction. The ground state has zero.

Well I've drawn the right form of the wavefunction at least. Whether or not I've correctly identified where the KE is negative I don't know. Back to the textbook I go!

Brewer said:
Back to the textbook I go!

Great idea! Once you have the wavefunctions remember KE is an operator on wavefunctions.

Related to Linear Harmonic Oscilator - QM

1. What is a linear harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

A linear harmonic oscillator is a system in quantum mechanics that exhibits simple harmonic motion, where the potential energy is proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position. It is a commonly used model to study the behavior of particles, such as atoms, in a potential well.

2. What is the equation for the energy of a linear harmonic oscillator?

The equation for the energy of a linear harmonic oscillator is E = (n + 1/2)ħω, where n is the quantum number and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant. This equation shows that the energy of the oscillator is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

3. How does the frequency of a linear harmonic oscillator relate to its potential energy?

The frequency of a linear harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its potential energy. This means that as the frequency increases, so does the potential energy, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the particle.

4. How does the wave function of a linear harmonic oscillator change over time?

The wave function of a linear harmonic oscillator undergoes periodic oscillations over time, as the system moves back and forth between the equilibrium position and the turning points. The amplitude of the wave function decreases as the particle loses energy and approaches the equilibrium position, and increases as it gains energy and moves away from equilibrium.

5. What is the significance of a linear harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics?

The linear harmonic oscillator is an important and fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of particles in potential wells, as well as to understand the quantization of energy levels. It also serves as a basis for more complex systems, such as molecules and solids, in which the vibrations of atoms can be modeled as harmonic oscillators.