Linear Generator question

In summary: NorwayIn summary,The linear generator design is based on the principle of Lenz law, which describes the "force" that oppose the motion of the rotor. The force is generated by the braking of the magnetic field, and all of the induced emf from this is useful energy.
jjjj
Hi
I have project that build on a linear generator design.
The design is:
A linear generator is attached to a spring, and with help of a control circuit are the magnetic field of the "rotor" regulated to "brake" the applied force (and the braking creates induced emf in the "stator"). The same happens with the force from the spring on the return motion.

Is this design possible? I have read about Lenz law on the web and understand that it describe the "force" that oppose the motion, but how is the calculation this "force"?
Will all(except the normal losses due to bearings, friction etc) the induced emf from the "braking" be useful energy?

Jorgen from Norway

Attachments

• 21.07.10 linearPhy.jpg
    21.07.10 linearPhy.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 400
Engineering news on Phys.org
jjjj said:
Hi
I have project that build on a linear generator design.
The design is:
A linear generator is attached to a spring, and with help of a control circuit are the magnetic field of the "rotor" regulated to "brake" the applied force (and the braking creates induced emf in the "stator"). The same happens with the force from the spring on the return motion.

Is this design possible? I have read about Lenz law on the web and understand that it describe the "force" that oppose the motion, but how is the calculation this "force"?
Will all(except the normal losses due to bearings, friction etc) the induced emf from the "braking" be useful energy?

Jorgen from Norway

Welcome to the PF. Do any of the "Related Threads" listed at the bottom of this page help?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. Do any of the "Related Threads" listed at the bottom of this page help?

Hi
Thanks. No one of the related threads are what I am looking for. I need help to understand the calculation of the "force" who is working against the motion, and as I can understand comes from a dipole effect in the "stator" coil due to the induced current in this. But how to relate this "force" to the applied magnetic field in the "rotor"(for control issues). Another question is;will the variable induced emf which come from the controlled magnetic field be usefull energy? or will the efficiency of the generator be reduced?

Jorgen

Related to Linear Generator question

What is a linear generator?

A linear generator is a type of electric generator that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a stationary part, called the stator, and a moving part, called the translator, which moves linearly along the stator.

How does a linear generator work?

A linear generator works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. When the translator moves along the stator, it cuts through magnetic field lines, which induces an electric current in the stator coils. This current can then be used to power electrical devices.

What are the advantages of a linear generator?

One of the main advantages of a linear generator is its simplicity and reliability. It has fewer moving parts compared to other types of generators, which reduces the risk of mechanical failure. Additionally, it can be easily integrated into existing systems and has a high power density, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

What are the applications of a linear generator?

Linear generators have a wide range of applications, including renewable energy generation, such as wave energy converters and tidal turbines. They are also used in transportation systems, such as electric trains and magnetic levitation (maglev) trains. Other applications include backup power systems, industrial machinery, and military equipment.

What are the limitations of a linear generator?

One limitation of a linear generator is its low efficiency at low speeds. This means that it may not be suitable for applications that require low-speed operation. Additionally, the design and construction of a linear generator can be complex and expensive, which may limit its use in certain industries.