Linear differential equations: source term constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a non-homogeneous differential equation for position, given a constant value. The two approaches discussed are using regular techniques for non-homogeneous differential equations or differentiating the equation to solve a homogeneous equation and then using the original equation to find the third arbitrary constant. The resulting solution should have two arbitrary constants.
Morphheus

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation for q(t) (position):

q''-qω^2 = C, where C is a time-independant value (basically a constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation is not homogeneous, therefore it must be non-homogeneous.
However, in every definition of non-homogeneous differential equation I have found (textbooks and Internet), the source term (in this case, C) is labelled as dependent on time

So, do I apply the regular techniques to solve NH diff. equations? e.g. q(t) = qh(t) + qp(t) , where qh and qp are the homogeneous and particular solutions, respectively.

The only solution I may have would be to get rid of the constant by derivating both sides, and then solving q'''-q'w^2 = 0 instead, but I heavily doubt it's the right way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant function f(t)=C is still considered a function of time. You can apply the regular methods for finding the homogeneous and particular solutions.

You can also use your second approach of differentiating the entire equation and solving the resulting homogeneous equation, but you'll have to use the original equation to find the new arbitrary constant. This essentially amounts to solving the equation using the usual method.

vela said:
You can also use your second approach of differentiating the entire equation and solving the resulting homogeneous equation, but you'll have to use the original equation to find the new arbitrary constant.

I don't really get the "using the original equation" part.

To solve such an equation, I would guess that q(t) = Ae^αt, then solve for alpha (which would give me α = ±√(something), and would finally re-plug these alphas using the superposition principle in q(t)

My final answer would be: Be^αt + Ce^-αt

The equation q'''-ω2q'=0 has three roots, so you'll get three terms, each with an arbitrary constant. The solution to the original differential equation, however, should have only two arbitrary constants. To determine the third constant, you have to use the original differential equation.

I would advise you to first check if the equation is correctly stated. It is possible that there may be a typo or a mistake in the given equation. If the equation is indeed correct, then it is a non-homogeneous differential equation with a constant source term. In this case, you can apply the regular techniques to solve non-homogeneous differential equations, such as using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. However, it is important to note that the solution may not be a simple function of time, as it would be in the case of a time-dependent source term. It is also possible that there may be no analytical solution and numerical methods may need to be used to solve the differential equation.

Related to Linear differential equations: source term constant

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function and derivatives are raised to the first power and are only multiplied by constants. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), where p(x) and g(x) are continuous functions of x.

2. What does it mean for the source term to be constant?

When the source term in a linear differential equation is constant, it means that the function g(x) does not depend on the independent variable x. This results in a simpler form of the equation, making it easier to solve.

3. How do you solve a linear differential equation with a constant source term?

To solve a linear differential equation with a constant source term, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding a particular solution and then adding it to the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

4. What is the significance of the source term in a linear differential equation?

The source term, or the function g(x), represents the external influence or driving force in the system. It can represent a physical quantity such as a force, heat, or mass, and it affects the rate of change of the dependent variable y.

5. Can a linear differential equation have a non-constant source term?

Yes, a linear differential equation can have a non-constant source term. This results in a non-homogeneous equation, which can be solved using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. The solution will consist of the general solution of the homogeneous equation and a particular solution for the non-homogeneous part.