Linear degree of freedom - Equipartition theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a classical 'degree of freedom' with a linear energy function, E = c|q|. The equipartition theorem is derived using this energy and it is shown that the average energy is Ebar = kT. The conversation also includes a discussion about a particular integral and its bounds, with a suggestion to use a formula to solve it.
steve233

Homework Statement

Consider a classical 'degree of freedom' that is linear rather than quadratic: E = c|q| for some constant c. Derive the equipartition theorem using this energy and show that the average energy is Ebar = kT.

Homework Equations

[itex] Z = \sum e^{-\beta E(q)} = \sum e^{-\beta c|q|} [/itex]

[itex] Z = \frac{1}{\Delta q} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-\beta c |q|}dq [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question seems straight forward, but I'm having a hard time grasping it.

Using the second equation, If I carry out that integral I get:

[itex] \frac{1}{\Delta q} \frac {-1}{\beta c} \left [ e^{-\beta cq} \right ]_{-\infty}^{+\infty} = 0 [/itex]

Which doesn't help at all. I'm not sure if there is a trick to the integral or I have to use another method.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS. This is coursework but not a homework question. I am just doing this question to study for a test.

Physics news on Phys.org
it works if you go from zero to infinity on the bounds. and not -inf to +inf.
then use the formula <E>=-1/Z(dz/dB)

Related to Linear degree of freedom - Equipartition theorem

1. What is the concept of linear degree of freedom?

The linear degree of freedom refers to the number of independent ways in which a system can store or transfer energy. It is a measure of the complexity of a system and is directly related to the number of independent coordinates required to fully describe the motion of the system.

2. How is the linear degree of freedom related to the equipartition theorem?

The equipartition theorem states that in thermal equilibrium, each degree of freedom of a system will have an average energy of kT/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant and T is the temperature. This means that the total energy of a system is evenly distributed among all of its degrees of freedom, including the linear degree of freedom.

3. Why is the concept of linear degree of freedom important in thermodynamics?

The concept of linear degree of freedom is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the distribution of energy in a system and how it affects its properties. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium.

4. Can the linear degree of freedom of a system change?

Yes, the linear degree of freedom of a system can change depending on the conditions it is subjected to. For example, the linear degree of freedom of a gas molecule will increase as it gains more kinetic energy and starts to vibrate or rotate in addition to its translational motion.

5. How is the concept of linear degree of freedom applied in real life?

The concept of linear degree of freedom has many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to predict the behavior of gases, study the properties of materials, and analyze the dynamics of complex systems. It is also crucial in the design and optimization of machines and structures, as it helps determine the amount of energy they can store and transfer.