Linear Continuous AE(u): Unique Solution for Functional Analysis Problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Jakob1
  • Start date
In summary, Jakob has solved a problem from functional analysis, and would like to know if everything is all right. He has shown that AE(u) is a linear and continuous map from AE_0(X) to the completion of E, and that AE(u) uniquely extends to a continuous linear map from X to E. He is also trying to prove that u= \sum_{k=1}^n a_k m_{x_0x_k} has a fixed x_0, but he is having trouble proving it. Finally, he asks for help with proving that u=0 if and only if f(x)=0.
Jakob1
Hi. I've just solved a problem from functional analysis and I would be very glad if you checked if everything is all right:

\(\displaystyle (X, d)\) is a metric space, \(\displaystyle AE_0(X) = \{ u : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R} \ : \ u^{-1} (\mathbb{R} \setminus \{0 \} \ \ \text{is finite}, \ \sum_{x \in X} u(x)=0 \}\),

for \(\displaystyle x,y \in X, \ x \neq y, \ m_{xy} \in AE_0(X), \ \ m_{xy} (x)=1, \ m_{xy}(y)=-1, \ m_{xy}(z)=0\) for \(\displaystyle z \neq x, y\) and \(\displaystyle m_{xx} \equiv 0\)

for \(\displaystyle u \in AE_0(X), \ ||u||_d = \inf _{n \ge 1} \{ \sum_{k=1}^n |a_k| d(x_k, y_k) \ : \ u= \sum_{k=1}^n a_km_{x_k, y_k}, a_k \in \mathbb{R}, x_k, y_k \in X\}\)

The fact that $||m_{xy}|| = d(x,y)$ follows straight from the definition of $|| \cdot||_d$, right?

We denote the completion of \(\displaystyle AE_0 (X) \ \text{by} \ AE(X)\).

Now, the main problem:

We are given a Banach space \(\displaystyle (E, || \cdot ||)\) and a Lipschitz function \(\displaystyle u: X \rightarrow E\).

I need to show that there exists a unique linear continuous \(\displaystyle AE(u) : AE(X) \rightarrow E\) s.t. \(\displaystyle AE(u) (m_{xy}) = u(x)-u(y), \ x,y \in X\).

I think it follows from this: \(\displaystyle AE(u)(f) = AE(u) (\sum_{k=1}^n a_km_{x_k, y_k}) = \sum_{k=1}^n a_k AE(u)( m_{x_k, y_k}) = \sum_{k=1}^n a_k(u(x_k) - u(y_k))\) - this determines the value uniquely.

As for existence, let's define the function \(\displaystyle AE(u)\) as above. We need to check that its values are in \(\displaystyle E\). But we know that it is si, because \(\displaystyle u\) is Lipschitz, and \(\displaystyle \exists Lip(u) \ge 0 : \forall x, y \in X : ||u(x) - u(y)|| \le Lip(u) d(x,y)\) (or \(\displaystyle AE(u)\) is linear and continuous, so it has to be bounded (?)).

Next, I need to prove that \(\displaystyle ||AE(u)|| = Lip(u)\).

\(\displaystyle ||AE(u)|| = \sup \{ ||AE(u)(f)|| \ : \ ||f|| = 1 \}\).

\(\displaystyle ||AE(u)(f)|| = || \sum_{k=1}^n a_k (u(x_k) - u(y_k)) || \le || \sum_{k=1}^n a_k Lip(u) d(x_k, y_k) || = Lip(u) ||f|| = Lip(u)\).

And for \(\displaystyle f= a m_{xy}, a \in \mathbb{R}\) we have \(\displaystyle \||AE(u)(f)|| = Lip(u) \).

Is that correct?

I'll be very grateful for all your insight.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jakob,

It looks like you have the general idea, but there are a couple of issues with the argument. Since $||\cdot ||_d$ has been defined on $AE_0(X)$ and $AE(X)$ is the $||\cdot ||_d$-completion of $AE_0(X)$, to define $AE(u)$ properly, you must first define $AE(u)$ as a mapping from $AE_0(X)$ to $E$ and prove that it is linear and continuous. Then you can claim that $AE(u)$ uniquely extends to a continuous linear mapping from $AE(X)$ to the completion of $E$ (i.e., $E$ itself, since $E$ is Banach).

The definition you have set up for $AE(u)$ makes sense as a mapping from $AE_0(X)$ to $E$. I leave it to you to verify linearity of $AE(u)$. I'll verify continuity of $AE(u)$; given $f = \sum_{k = 1}^n a_k m_{x_ky_k}\in AE_0(X)$,

\(\displaystyle \|AE(u)(f)\|_E = \left\|\sum_{k = 1}^n a_k [u(x_k) - u(y_k)]\right\|_E\)

\(\displaystyle \le \sum_{k = 1}^n |a_k|||u(x_k) - u(y_k)||_E\quad (\text{by the triangle inequality})\)

\(\displaystyle \le \mathcal{Lip}(u)\sum_{k = 1}^n |a_k|d(x_k,y_k)\quad (\text{since $u$ is Lipschitz})\)

\(\displaystyle = \mathcal{Lip}(u)\|f\|_d.\)

Thank you for all your help, Euge.
I wonder if you could also take a look at my proof of the fact that \(\displaystyle ||m_{xy}|| = d(x,y)\).

\(\displaystyle AE_0(X)\) is a linear space and for a fixed \(\displaystyle x_0 \in X\), \(\displaystyle m_{x x_0}, \ x \neq x_0\), form its basis.

Any real valued function \(\displaystyle f\) on \(\displaystyle X\) such that \(\displaystyle f(x_0)=0\) defines a linear map on \(\displaystyle X\): \(\displaystyle F: \ AE_0(X) \ni u= \sum_{k=1}^n a_k m_{x_0x_k} \rightarrow \sum_{k=1}^n a_k f(x_k)\).

Then if we take \(\displaystyle f(z)=d(z,y)\) (it satisfies the condition: \(\displaystyle f(y)=0\)), we let \(\displaystyle F \) be the corresponding linear functional, with \(\displaystyle x_0\) replaced by \(\displaystyle y\).

Given the representation of \(\displaystyle m_{xy} = \sum_{k=1}^n a_k m_{x_ky_k} \), we have \(\displaystyle d(x,y) = f(x) = F(m_{xy}) = \sum_{k=1}^n a_k F(m_{x_ky_k})\).

So \(\displaystyle d(x,y) \le \sum_1^n |a_k| |d(x_k, y) - d(y_k, y)| \le \sum_1^n |a_k| d(x_k, y_k)\)

Taking \(\displaystyle inf\) over all such representations, we get \(\displaystyle ||m_{xy}|| \ge d(x,y)\). We get the reverse inequality by plugging $n=1, a_1 = 1, x_1 = x, y_1 = y$ into the definition of the norm.

However, I have trouble proving that we can indeed write any \(\displaystyle u \in AE_0(X)\) as \(\displaystyle u= \sum_{k=1}^n a_k m_{x_0x_k}\), that is with fixed \(\displaystyle x_0\).

Moreover, could you help me prove that \(\displaystyle ||u|| = 0 \iff u=0\)?

Related to Linear Continuous AE(u): Unique Solution for Functional Analysis Problem

1. Can you check my solution for accuracy?

Yes, I would be happy to check your solution for accuracy. Please provide me with your solution and any relevant information or instructions.

2. How long will it take for you to check my solution?

The amount of time it takes to check your solution will depend on the complexity of the problem and the amount of information provided. In most cases, I will try to provide feedback within a reasonable timeframe.

3. Will you provide any feedback or suggestions for improvement?

Yes, I will provide feedback and suggestions for improvement if necessary. I want to help you understand the problem and improve your solution.

4. Can I ask for clarification if I do not understand your feedback?

Of course, please feel free to ask for clarification if you do not understand my feedback. I am here to help you understand the problem and improve your solution.

5. Is there a limit to the number of times I can ask you to check my solution?

No, there is no limit to the number of times you can ask me to check your solution. I want to help you understand the problem and improve your solution as much as possible.