How Fast Does a Ball Fall 25 Feet: Physics & Algebra Answer

• Thread starter Joseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the answer to how fast a ball falls form 25 feet using the formula d = 16t2 is that the ball falls at a velocity of 1 1/4 or 5/4 feet per second using the constant acceleration of 32 feet per second squared.
Joseph
What is the answer to how fast a ball fall's form 25 feet useing the formula d = 16t2 :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]d = 16t^2[/tex]

I assume that this gives the distance in feet. So,

[tex]t = \sqrt{25/16}[/tex]

However you want the velocity of the ball at t = that number above. Can you finish now?

physics and algebra

I think the answer is 1 1/4 or 5/4 can you tell me if i am on the right track.? :rolleyes:

Yes, that is correct.

This is only the time, not the velocity at that time. You still need to find velocity as a function of time. Can you do that?

if you find the first derivative of distance as a function of time this wud give you a formula for velocity if acceleration is not constant, in this case it wud be
d'(t) = 36t.

FUNKER said:
if you find the first derivative of distance as a function of time this wud give you a formula for velocity if acceleration is not constant, in this case it wud be
d'(t) = 36t.

Judging by the title, I don't think Joseph would know calculus. However, I could be wrong.

FUNKER said:
d'(t) = 36t.
Eh. . . The acceleration is constant. your post should read: "If you find the first derivative of distance as a function of time this would give you a formula for velocity, in this case it would be d'(t) = 36t."

The_Brain said:
Judging by the title, I don't think Joseph would know calculus. However, I could be wrong.

Froget calculus; judging by this, "d'(t) = 36t" and the number of times it's been quoted in the last few posts, I don't think anyone here knows what 2*16 is!

hey,
d = u*t + 1/2 a*t2
=> 25 = 1/2 g*t2 ......(1)
but according to the question
d = 16 t2
or
25 = 16t2.......(2)

comparing (1) and (2)
1/2g=16

g= 32 feet/ second squared ??

or 12.8 metres/second squared ??

was the ball really undergoing a free fall ??

1. How is the speed of a falling ball calculated?

The speed of a falling ball can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height in meters.

2. What is the acceleration of a falling ball?

The acceleration of a falling ball is always constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second the ball falls, its speed increases by 9.8 m/s.

3. Does the weight of the ball affect its falling speed?

Yes, the weight of the ball does affect its falling speed. A heavier ball will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, causing it to accelerate faster and therefore fall faster. However, the weight does not affect the rate of acceleration due to gravity.

4. How long does it take for a ball to fall 25 feet?

The time it takes for a ball to fall 25 feet can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in feet, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (32.2 feet per second squared). Plugging in the values, we get t = √(2*25/32.2) ≈ 1.42 seconds.

5. How does air resistance affect the speed of a falling ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the speed of a falling ball. As the ball falls, it will encounter air molecules which create a force in the opposite direction of the ball's motion. This force will increase as the ball's speed increases, eventually balancing out with the force of gravity and causing the ball to reach a terminal velocity, or maximum speed.