Linear alignment conveyor design

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for aligning and stacking light longitudinal parts, such as pencils or matches, in a tub. These methods include using an unconventional bowl feeder or a linear feeder with a grooved vibro-plate, but both still result in misaligned parts. The idea of using a sheet conveyor belt in a catenary loop is also mentioned, where the belt's slope would align the objects and they could then be gathered and bundled. The question of how to evaluate this theoretically and the potential for reversing the conveyor's direction are also brought up. The width of the buffer and how to evaluate its structure are also mentioned.
Butters
I have a tub randomly filled with light longitudinal parts like pencils or matches. My goal is to gather them into a buffer nicely aligned (independently of which end is facing side). What's the fastest way to achieve this?

I have considered unconventional bowl feeder with substantial radius conveying part radially from the filled drum, what do you think?

Also, linear feeder with a grooved vibro-plate but that still brings misaligned stacked parts. Is it solvable by stepping down the conveyor and putting up vertical constraints? Even then, how do I proceed to stack everything neatly?

Any way to evaluate this theoretically?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Consider a sheet conveyor belt hanging in a catenary loop. As the belt advances, items dropped onto the belt will slide diagonally until they become aligned and roll. If the belt is then stopped they will be in a bundle.

By arranging a similar wide belt with a slight slope down the valley, the elongated objects will align and roll, then gradually feed to the low end of the valley where they can be gathered and bundled.

I'm not a native English user so I want to clarify this for myself. Is this the mechanism you had in mind?

catenary.jpg

Reversing direction of conveyor the already aligned pieces would roll down to the B section or did you have any other idea?
Also, what would be the width of such buffer? My guess is the length of a single piece but would the whole bunch of them orient? How should I evaluate the structure. Thanks for the answers!

Related to Linear alignment conveyor design

1. What is a linear alignment conveyor?

A linear alignment conveyor is a type of conveyor system used in manufacturing and packaging industries to move products or materials in a straight line. It is designed to ensure that items are properly aligned and oriented during the conveying process.

2. What are the key components of a linear alignment conveyor?

The key components of a linear alignment conveyor include a motor, drive mechanism, belt or chain, rollers or pulleys, and a frame. These components work together to move items along the conveyor in a linear fashion.

3. How does a linear alignment conveyor improve efficiency in a production line?

A linear alignment conveyor helps to improve efficiency by ensuring that products are properly aligned and oriented, reducing the risk of jamming or damage during the conveying process. This results in a smoother and more efficient production line, as well as reducing the need for manual intervention.

4. How is the speed of a linear alignment conveyor determined?

The speed of a linear alignment conveyor is typically determined by the motor and drive mechanism, which can be adjusted to achieve the desired speed. The length of the conveyor and the size and weight of the items being transported may also impact the speed.

5. What are some common applications of linear alignment conveyors?

Linear alignment conveyors are commonly used in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing. They are often used to transport items such as bottles, cans, boxes, and packaged products, as well as in assembly and packaging processes.

Back