Linear algebra with complex numbers

In summary, for self-study of linear algebra with complex numbers, it is recommended to use the book "Linear Algebra Done Wrong" by Sergei Treil. This book covers all the necessary topics for quantum mechanics and also highlights the similarities between linear algebra over complex numbers and real numbers.
Ahmad Kishki
Recommend a self study book for linear algebra with complex numbers

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that you needed this for QM. In that case, everything you need to know is in this beautiful and excellent book: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

You will find that LA over complex numbers is not very different from LA over the reals. But you'll see many topics in this book that are helpful for QM.

micromass said:
I saw that you needed this for QM. In that case, everything you need to know is in this beautiful and excellent book: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

You will find that LA over complex numbers is not very different from LA over the reals. But you'll see many topics in this book that are helpful for QM.

Thank you very much.

Related to Linear algebra with complex numbers

1. What is the difference between real and complex numbers in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, real numbers are numbers that can be represented on a number line and have no imaginary component. Complex numbers, on the other hand, have both a real and imaginary component, and can be represented as a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How are complex numbers used in linear algebra?

Complex numbers are used in linear algebra to represent vectors and matrices in higher dimensions. They are also used to solve systems of equations, perform rotations and transformations, and model real-world phenomena in engineering and physics.

3. Can you give an example of a complex number in linear algebra?

One example of a complex number in linear algebra is the vector (3+2i, 1-4i, -2+3i). This vector has three elements, each with a real and imaginary component, and can be used in operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

4. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number a+bi is the number a-bi. In other words, the conjugate of a complex number has the same real part but the opposite sign of the imaginary part. In linear algebra, taking the conjugate of a complex number can be useful in operations such as finding the norm or magnitude of a vector.

5. How do you add and multiply complex numbers in linear algebra?

To add complex numbers in linear algebra, you simply add the real and imaginary parts separately. For example, to add (3+2i) and (1-4i), you would do (3+1) + (2-4)i, which gives you 4-2i. To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method from algebra, but you also need to remember that i^2 = -1. For example, to multiply (3+2i) and (1-4i), you would do (3+2i)(1-4i) = 3-12i+2i-8i^2 = 11-10i.