Linear Algebra II over the summer

In summary: If you've taken an abstract math or proof-based course before, then you should be fine taking Linear Algebra in the Fall and having it counted in your GPA. However, if you haven't, you may consider the summer course. You could probably spend your summer more productively (job, internship, research?) than taking a class if you have the option.
Physics-UG
Hey guys,

I'm currently enrolled to take Linear Algebra in the fall, however, after talking with a friend in math, he recommended since it's quite a brutal course that I take it over the summer. Does anyone here think that's a terrible idea? My reasoning for asking is because here we don't calculate GPA from summer courses, however, summer courses are only 5-6 weeks long, so you're in the same class 5 days a week for longer days than your normal fall term. Would you recommend I avoid doing this, or do you think it's manageable?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've taken an abstract math or proof-based course before, then you should be fine taking Linear Algebra in the Fall and having it counted in your GPA. However, if you haven't, you may consider the summer course. You could probably spend your summer more productively (job, internship, research?) than taking a class if you have the option.
I really enjoyed Linear Algebra, but it usually took me rereading the material 3 times before I understood it enough to do more than half of the problems in each section - even working with peers was hard since almost everyone was equally befuddled on the difficult parts. Thankfully our teacher dedicated half an hour each Monday class period to letting us come in and work with each other and/or ask him for help, for those really tough homework problems. If the course at your university is anything like mine, I heavily suggest having a study/homework group - where you all try the homework individually first, then meet up before it's due to help each other with the ones you can't figure out. It may be harder to get a study group in the summer where you're at, but I don't know your institution.
Good luck!

ModestyKing said:
If you've taken an abstract math or proof-based course before, then you should be fine taking Linear Algebra in the Fall and having it counted in your GPA. However, if you haven't, you may consider the summer course. You could probably spend your summer more productively (job, internship, research?) than taking a class if you have the option.
I really enjoyed Linear Algebra, but it usually took me rereading the material 3 times before I understood it enough to do more than half of the problems in each section - even working with peers was hard since almost everyone was equally befuddled on the difficult parts. Thankfully our teacher dedicated half an hour each Monday class period to letting us come in and work with each other and/or ask him for help, for those really tough homework problems. If the course at your university is anything like mine, I heavily suggest having a study/homework group - where you all try the homework individually first, then meet up before it's due to help each other with the ones you can't figure out. It may be harder to get a study group in the summer where you're at, but I don't know your institution.
Good luck!

Technically, my math is way ahead of my physics courses. I take my first uni physics course this coming fall, meanwhile, before this fall I will have taken 2 calc courses and 2 lin lag courses (assuming I take this one in the summer, which I think I will.) So research is out of the question for now haha. But, since I haven't taken any abstract math yet, I think I'll just take it over the summer. I don't really find linear algebra that interesting, in all honesty. I like calculus a lot, but I dread my lin alg class haha. Thanks for the help!

Related to Linear Algebra II over the summer

1. What is Linear Algebra II over the summer?

Linear Algebra II over the summer is a course that covers advanced topics in linear algebra, typically taken after completing a first course in linear algebra. It focuses on concepts such as vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and diagonalization.

2. Why is Linear Algebra II often offered over the summer?

Linear Algebra II is often offered over the summer to give students the opportunity to complete the course at a faster pace, allowing them to focus on the subject without the distractions of other courses. It also allows students to catch up or get ahead in their studies, and can be beneficial for those who want to graduate early or take on a heavy course load in the following semesters.

3. Who should take Linear Algebra II over the summer?

Linear Algebra II over the summer is typically taken by students who have completed a first course in linear algebra and want to further their understanding of the subject. It is also a good option for students who need to fulfill a math requirement for their major or are interested in pursuing a career in fields such as data science, engineering, or physics.

4. How is Linear Algebra II over the summer different from the regular course?

The content covered in Linear Algebra II over the summer is typically the same as the regular course, but it is condensed into a shorter time period. This means that the pace of the course is faster and there may be more homework and exams. Additionally, some topics may be covered in less depth compared to the regular course.

5. What are the benefits of taking Linear Algebra II over the summer?

The main benefit of taking Linear Algebra II over the summer is the opportunity to complete the course at a faster pace and potentially graduate early or take on a heavier course load in the following semesters. It also allows students to focus on the subject without other distractions and can be a good option for those who struggle with math and prefer to have shorter, more intensive courses.