Linear Algebra - Characteristic polynomials and similar matrices question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the algebraic and geometric multiplicities of eigenvalues and a basis for each eigenspace for a given linear operator on R3 with a specific matrix A relative to a given basis. The conversation also explores the concept of similar matrices and the process of finding eigenvalues.
zeion

Homework Statement

For each matrix A below, let T be the linear operator on R3 thathas matrix A relative to the basis A = {(1,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,1,1)}. Find the algebraic and geometric multiplicities of each eigenvalues, and a basis for each eigenspace.

a) A = [tex]
\begin{bmatrix} 8&5&-5\\5&8&-5\\15&15&-12\end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried to find the eigenvalues normally and turns out that was pretty hard.. So I know that similar matrices have the same eigenvalues, then can I just take the eigenvalues of the matrix [tex]
\begin{bmatrix} 1&1&1\\0&1&1\\0&0&1\end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

since it is similar to A? Or is it similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues of similar matrices are the same but the eigenvectors may be different.

The second matrix isn't similar to A. Two matrices A and B are similar if you can write

[tex]B=P^{-1}AP[/tex]

for some invertible matrix P. You could use your matrix with the basis-vector columns as P.

I calculated B but that doesn't seem to make finding eigenvalues any easier..?

You just need to work it out. It's only a 3x3 matrix after all.

Okay nice it seems it's just because I made a mistake in calculating the inverse of P..
turns out it's much easier to find the eigenvalues of B.

..or not. I don't understand why there is suddenly such a computational question when everything else is hardly as hard..

Last edited:
Can I row-reduce a matrix before subtracting lambda and then find the determinant? Or do I have to subtract lambda first?

You have to subtract [itex]\lambda[/itex] first. Think about it. You can reduce any invertible matrix to the identity matrix. If you then subtracted [itex]\lambda[/itex], all the eigenvalues would be 1, which is obviously not the case for every invertible matrix.

Related to Linear Algebra - Characteristic polynomials and similar matrices question

1. What is a characteristic polynomial in linear algebra?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation that is associated with a square matrix. It is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are the special numbers that represent how the matrix stretches or compresses a vector.

2. How is a characteristic polynomial calculated?

A characteristic polynomial is calculated by taking the determinant of the square matrix minus the identity matrix multiplied by the variable lambda. This equation is then set equal to zero, and the solutions for lambda are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of characteristic polynomials in linear algebra?

Characteristic polynomials are important in linear algebra because they allow us to find the eigenvalues of a matrix. These eigenvalues are used in many applications, such as in solving systems of linear equations, analyzing the stability of a system, and diagonalizing a matrix.

4. What are similar matrices in linear algebra?

Similar matrices are matrices that have the same characteristic polynomial. This means that they have the same eigenvalues, but their eigenvectors may be different. Similar matrices represent the same linear transformation, but in different coordinate systems.

5. How are similar matrices related to characteristic polynomials?

Similar matrices are related to characteristic polynomials because the characteristic polynomial is what determines whether two matrices are similar. If two matrices have the same characteristic polynomial, then they are similar, and if they have different characteristic polynomials, then they are not similar.