Linear Algebra - Change of basis question

In summary, we are given two bases A = E4 in R4 and B = {x^2, x, 1} in P2 over R, and a linear transformation T represented by a matrix in terms of these bases. We are asked to find the matrix representation of T with respect to two new bases A' and B'. To do this, we need to find the transformation matrices I_{AA'} and I_{B'B}, which are the representations of A' and B' in terms of the standard basis. Using these transformation matrices, we can then find the desired matrix T_{B'A'}. After performing the necessary calculations, we find that the transformed T has many zero entries, which is expected due to the
zeion

Homework Statement

Let A = E4 in R4 (standard basis) and B = {x^2, x, 1} in P2 over R. If T is the linear transformation that is represented by
[tex]

\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1 & -1\\1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}

[/tex]

relative to A and B, find the matrix that represents T with respect to A' and B' where
A' = {(1,0,0,0), (0,0,1,0), (1,-1,0,0), (0,-1,1,1)}
B' = {x^2 + 1, x, 1}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So by looking at this matrix T, it's clear that its a transformation from A to B, so we want the transformation matrix [tex]T_{B'A'}[/tex],
which is: [tex]T_{B'A'} = I_{B'B}T_{BA}I_{AA'}[/tex]

So I need to find [tex]I_{AA'}[/tex] and [tex] I_{B'B}[/tex].

For [tex]I_{AA'}[/tex], I write A' wrt A(which is standard basis of R4):

I get : [tex]I_{AA'} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 &-1\\0 & 1 & 0 &1\\ 0&0&0&1 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Then for [tex] I_{B'B}[/tex], I write B wrt B', and get

[tex]I_{B'B} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0\\-1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Now I put them together to get something with lots of zeros.. which doesn't seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. (At least it sounds correct.) You have the representations of the A' basis in the natural basis, so try applying them to the given T and see what you get. Then look at how those results would be represented in the B' basis. You'll see why the transformed T has so many zeros.

When I put them all together I get:
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0\\-1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 & 1 & -1\\1 & 1 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 &-1\\0 & 1 & 0 &1\\ 0&0&0&1 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex] ??

Related to Linear Algebra - Change of basis question

1. What is a change of basis in linear algebra?

A change of basis in linear algebra refers to the process of transforming a vector or a set of vectors from one coordinate system to another. It involves finding a new set of basis vectors that can represent the same vector or set of vectors in a different coordinate system.

2. Why is change of basis important in linear algebra?

Change of basis is important in linear algebra because it allows us to represent the same vector or set of vectors in different coordinate systems, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also allows us to transform matrices and perform operations such as rotation, scaling, and shearing.

3. How is change of basis related to eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Change of basis is closely related to eigenvectors and eigenvalues because eigenvectors are the basis vectors in which a matrix is diagonalized, and eigenvalues determine the scaling factor for each eigenvector. By changing the basis, we can transform a matrix into its diagonal form and easily calculate its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. What is the difference between changing the basis of a vector and changing the basis of a matrix?

Changing the basis of a vector involves transforming the vector itself, while changing the basis of a matrix involves transforming the coordinate system in which the matrix is represented. This is done by multiplying the matrix with a change of basis matrix, which is the inverse of the matrix containing the new basis vectors.

5. How is change of basis used in applications such as computer graphics and image processing?

In computer graphics and image processing, change of basis is used to transform images and 3D objects from one coordinate system to another. This allows for the efficient manipulation and rendering of these objects. It is also used in compression techniques such as JPEG, where the image is transformed into a new basis to reduce the amount of data needed to represent it.