Linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end

In summary, the question involves a uniform stick with a fixed hinge at one end being released at an angle of 60 degrees above the horizontal. The magnitude of the linear acceleration of the free end just after release is being asked and it can be expressed as a percentage of gravity. The correct method to approach this question is to use the inertia equation for a rod rotating about one end, which is 1/3 * m * L^2. The resulting equation is (1/3 * m * L^2) * (a/r) = m * g * sin(60), where L is the length of the stick and r is the distance from the hinge to the free end. It is important to choose either L or
mozartkart

Homework Statement

a uniform stick with a mass of 1.00 kg and length of 1.00m has a fixed hinge at one end. It is released at an angel of 60 degrees above the horizontal and it drops with normal gravity. What is the magnitude of the linear acceleration of the point at the free end just after release? express the result as a percentage of g (gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

attempt

T=r*F*sin(60) T=Inertia*alpha =(mr2)*(a/r)=mra
mra=r*m*g*sin(60)
a=g*sin(60)

Is this a correct method to approach this question with or do I have to use the inertia equation for a rod rotating about one end which is 1/3 *m*L2 ? If that's the case then would this be right?

(1/3*m*L2)*a/r=rmgsin(60)
a=(r2*g*3*sin(60)) / L

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mozartkart! welcome to pf! :wink:
mozartkart said:
… do I have to use the inertia equation for a rod rotating about one end which is 1/3 *m*L2 ? If that's the case then would this be right?

(1/3*m*L2)*a/r=rmgsin(60) …

basically, yes :smile:

(except why is there an L and an r? :confused: and don't forget the weight is in the middle :wink:)

Theres a L and a r because the equation for alpha is a/r and the inertia equation is 1/3 m L2. Or am I approaching that wrong?ps thank you for helping me :)

mozartkart said:
Theres a L and a r because the equation for alpha is a/r and the inertia equation is 1/3 m L2.

ah, but then you need to choose either L or r, and stick to it when you write your equation!
:smile:

(also, i think you're using two different r's :wink:)

ok :) I figured it out. Thank you so much for your help

Related to Linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end

What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in a straight line. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the acceleration.

How is linear acceleration different from angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in linear velocity, while angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational velocity. In other words, linear acceleration involves movement in a straight line, while angular acceleration involves movement in a circular or curved path.

What is a rod fixed to a hinge at one end?

A rod fixed to a hinge at one end is a physical system where a rod or bar is attached to a hinge or pivot point at one end, allowing it to rotate around that point. This type of system is often used in mechanical systems, such as doors or gates.

How is the linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end calculated?

The linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end can be calculated using the formula a = ω²r, where a is the linear acceleration, ω is the angular velocity (in radians per second), and r is the distance from the hinge to the point where the linear acceleration is being measured.

What factors can affect the linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end?

The linear acceleration of a rod fixed to a hinge at one end can be affected by several factors, including the mass and length of the rod, the angular velocity, and any external forces acting on the rod. The location of the hinge or pivot point can also impact the linear acceleration.