Linear acceleration and angular acceleration

In summary: The parallel axis theorem is used to find the inertia about the point where an object rotates. I=Icm +md2.I now read that your inertia is at the center not where it rotates.
thesandalman

Homework Statement

How do I solve for linear acceleration or angular acceleration without one or the other?
I am given the mass of the object (a yoyo), the inner radius, the outer radius, and Icm (moment of inertia at the center of mass).

Attached in a picture of the problem.

Homework Equations

a=alpha *r
alpha=a/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 001a.gif
    001a.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 597
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the yo-yo produced a torque τ and if you did not know, τ = Iα, since you are given 'I', you can get 'α' and hence 'a' using your relevant equations.

How do you figure out the weight? Also the equation I have in my notes from the lecture, which I just double checked, is torque = I * alpha. Not I * a.

thesandalman said:
How do you figure out the weight? Also the equation I have in my notes for the lecture, which I just double checked, is torque = I * alpha. Not I * a.

α = angular acceleration
a = linear acceleration

Weight is just 'mg'

I do not know if I am misunderstanding you or what, but that is not the correct answer.

thesandalman said:
I do not know if I am misunderstanding you or what, but that is not the correct answer.

What did you have ?

i have torque is m*g*the outer radius = I* alpha but the answer I got was 651.7 alpha which does not make any sense for a yoyo.

thesandalman said:
i have torque is m*g*the outer radius = I* alpha but the answer I got was 651.7 alpha which does not make any sense for a yoyo.

Can you post the values? Also the weight does not act there, it acts at through the center. So the weight is right at the start of the inner radius. So you used the wrong radius to get the torque.

A yoyo with a mass of m = 179 g.
The inner radius of the yoyo is r = 2.60 cm, and the outer radius is R = 3.60 cm
ICM = 9.70×10-5 kgm2

Using the smaller radius does not give the correct answer?

nope.

thesandalman said:
nope.

I now read that your inertia is at the center not where it rotates.

You need to use the parallel axis theorem I=Icm +md2 to get the inertia about the point where it rotates and then use the torque.

Related to Linear acceleration and angular acceleration

What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the speed or direction of an object is changing.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of an object's angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed or direction is changing.

What is the formula for calculating linear acceleration?

The formula for linear acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the formula for calculating angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi)/t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is time.

What factors affect linear and angular acceleration?

Linear and angular acceleration can be affected by factors such as mass, force, and torque. Objects with larger masses require more force to accelerate, while objects with larger moments of inertia require more torque to rotate.