Must read books about science?

In summary, the person is looking for books that are not textbooks and that are easily accessible. They read a book by Chandrasekhar and found it to be good. They also suggest other books.
deltabourne
Doesn't have to be about physics - in fact, the more diversity, the better - I'm just looking for a bunch of books that are must reads (I'm going somewhere for a while and need books to keep my company :wink: )

Now I don't want textbooks, I want something that is easily accessible without too much deep thought, without equations or something that requires a PhD in the field to understand. For example, I'm reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and have found it to be a great read about science (not necessarily how to DO science, but that's what university is for :approve:). I do intend to look into the Elegant Universe, as I've heard so much about it.

Anyone have recommendations for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I once read a book by Chandrasekhar (not the famous one of that name, though) called something like Why Things Are the Way They Are. It was pretty good.

If the NOVA TV series is any way to judge An Elegant Universe, don't bother with it.

In my opinion the TV series of The Elegant Universe was just small taste of the book has to offer (I watched and read both). I'd recommend it...

It's almost certainly impossible to fit every detail in the book on a 3 hour TV show so to judge the book according to what little you've seen is a bit presumptuous.

The_Professional said:
It's almost certainly impossible to fit every detail in the book on a 3 hour TV show so to judge the book according to what little you've seen is a bit presumptuous.
Aye, but it seems that if they had a lot of material that they could cover, they wouldn't have spent all three hours repeating what they covered in the first fifteen minutes
:zzz: But I suppose perhaps it was not geared for a very scientific audience.

Janitor said:
I once read a book by Chandrasekhar (not the famous one of that name, though) called something like Why Things Are the Way They Are. It was pretty good.
Thanks, that looks pretty interesting.

Any other ideas? If you don't like Brian Green's book, please suggest something else.. it helps me out more :smile:

Read Prey: A novel.

It's a pretty good read. It's exciting at least, unlike the boring crap I'm reading now. "Cry The Beloved Country". Damn it's boring.

I would read anything by Feynman. Or Hawking.

What are some must-read books about science?

There are many great books about science, but some popular titles include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson, and "The Double Helix" by James D. Watson.

Why are these books considered must-reads?

These books are considered must-reads because they cover a wide range of topics in science, from the origins of the universe to the inner workings of the human body. They are also written by well-respected scientists and have had a significant impact on our understanding of the world.

Are these books only for scientists?

No, these books are not only for scientists. They are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience and can be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in science. These books have even been credited with sparking the interest of many young scientists.

Do these books cover all areas of science?

No, these books do not cover all areas of science. They primarily focus on topics such as physics, biology, and evolution. However, they provide a great introduction to these fields and can inspire readers to explore other areas of science as well.

Are there other must-read books about science?

Yes, there are many other must-read books about science that are not listed here. Some other popular titles include "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Cosmic Connection" by Carl Sagan.