Line of intersection between two parallel planes?

In summary: No, I mean can you find the line passing through the two points I gave?Yes, that is what I meant. So if you were to take the two points (0,1), (0,-1), and use those points to solve for the x, y, and z components of the first equation, what would you get?Yes, that is what I meant. So if you were to take the two points (0,1), (0,-1), and use those points to solve for the x, y, and z components of the first equation, what would you get?The x, y, and z components of the first equation would be:x=\frac{1}{2
sawdee
How can I find the line of intersection between the planes 2x-y+2x+1=0 and -4x+2y-4x-2=0

I realize these are parallel as they are multiples of each other, but I'm not sure how to solve for the point. I also have to convert this line into parametric, cartesian and vector form.

Sorry for the continuous posts, I have an exam tomorrow and I'm stuck on these questions :/ Can't ask a teacher either.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When two planes are parallel, you have 2 options:

i) they are the same plane...they then intersect over the entire plane defined by both.

ii) they are distinct...and so they intersect nowhere.

MarkFL said:
When two planes are parallel, you have 2 options:

i) they are the same plane...they then intersect over the entire plane defined by both.

ii) they are distinct...and so they intersect nowhere.

In terms of that, how can I solve for the question? Is there a way to find this parallel point of intersection?

sawdee said:
In terms of that, how can I solve for the question? Is there a way to find this parallel point of intersection?

The two planes you gave are the same plane, so they "intersect" at infinitely many points...consisting of the entire plane the two equations define.

MarkFL said:
The two planes you gave are the same plane, so they "intersect" at infinitely many points...consisting of the entire plane the two equations define.

Hmm that does make sense, however the question still asks for the three forms of the line of intersection (parametric, vector and Cartesian). Do i simply write there are infinite solutions, or is there a way to find one?

sawdee said:
Hmm that does make sense, however the question still asks for the three forms of the line of intersection (parametric, vector and Cartesian). Do i simply write there are infinite solutions, or is there a way to find one?

Since the two planes are the same, there are an infinite number of lines within the intersection...there is no one line that is a "best choice." If you are forced to define one line within the given plane, then you could pick any two points within the given plane and construct the line passing through these two points.

Also, you are typing "x" when I think you mean "z"...so let's look at this definition of the given plane:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\)

If we let $(y,z)=(0,0)$ we find:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{1}{2}\)

And if we let $(x,z)=(0,0)$ we find:

\(\displaystyle y=1\)

And so we have the two points:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{1}{2},0,0\right),\,\left(0,1,0\right)\)

Can you take these two points and describe the line through them?

MarkFL said:
Since the two planes are the same, there are an infinite number of lines within the intersection...there is no one line that is a "best choice." If you are forced to define one line within the given plane, then you could pick any two points within the given plane and construct the line passing through these two points.

Also, you are typing "x" when I think you mean "z"...so let's look at this definition of the given plane:

\(\displaystyle 2x-y+2z+1=0\)

If we let $(y,z)=(0,0)$ we find:

\(\displaystyle x=-\frac{1}{2}\)

And if we let $(x,z)=(0,0)$ we find:

\(\displaystyle y=1\)

And so we have the two points:

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{1}{2},0,0\right),\,\left(0,1,0\right)\)

Can you take these two points and describe the line through them?

Yes sorry, that 4x is supposed to be 4z!

So you mean solve for each component (x,y,z) of the first plane equation and use those 3 points as in the intercepting points?

sawdee said:
Yes sorry, that 4x is supposed to be 4z!

So you mean solve for each component (x,y,z) of the first plane equation and use those 3 points as in the intercepting points?

No, I mean can you find the line passing through the two points I gave?

Related to Line of intersection between two parallel planes?

1. What is the definition of a line of intersection between two parallel planes?

The line of intersection between two parallel planes is the line where the two planes intersect each other. It is the only line that exists in both planes and is perpendicular to both planes.

2. How do you find the equation of the line of intersection between two parallel planes?

To find the equation of the line of intersection between two parallel planes, you need to find two points on the line. These points can be found by setting one variable equal to any value and solving for the other two variables using the equations of the planes. Once you have two points, you can use the slope formula to find the slope of the line and then use the point-slope form or the two-point form to write the equation of the line.

3. Can the line of intersection between two parallel planes be a straight line?

Yes, the line of intersection between two parallel planes is always a straight line. This is because both planes are flat and do not curve in any way. If the two planes are parallel and never intersect, the line of intersection will never change direction and will remain a straight line.

4. What if the two parallel planes are identical?

If the two parallel planes are identical, then there are an infinite number of lines of intersection between them. This is because any line in one plane will also be in the other plane since they are identical. The equation of the line of intersection in this case will have an infinite number of solutions.

5. Can the line of intersection between two parallel planes be parallel to one of the planes?

No, the line of intersection between two parallel planes cannot be parallel to one of the planes. This is because the line of intersection is formed by the intersection of the two planes, meaning it must be perpendicular to both planes. If the line of intersection were parallel to one of the planes, then it would not intersect with the other plane, which goes against the definition of the line of intersection.