Line integral of a vector field

In summary, the student attempted to find a solution to the homework equation by using a parametrisation of the curve, finding a cylinder that fit the data, and solving for the radius.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

Consider the vector field F(r) = Φ^
(a) Calculate ∫ F⋅dl where C is a circle of radius R (oriented counterclockwise) in the xy-plane centered on the origin.

Homework Equations

maybe
Φ^ = -sinΦx^ + cosΦy^

The Attempt at a Solution

not really a solution. i am just stuck at what "dl" should be. if i go by my notes the "dl" is equal ∂l/∂θ (θ). but in our example its in terms of θ. so i don't know if "dl" here is equal to -sinΦx^ + cosΦy^. but can i evaluate the integral from 0 to 2π with Φ and not θ.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to perform a line integral, find a parametrisation of the curve you are integrating along. You can then express ##d\vec l## according to
$$ d\vec l = \frac{d\vec r}{dt} dt$$
where ##t## is the curve parameter.

So first order of business: Can you find a parametrisation of the curve?

Well I think t is Φ

You are on the right track, but you must be much more specific. A given t should uniquely identify a point on the curve, you might have φ = t, but what are the other coordinates for a given t?

I also know the radius, R.

So write down the following functions of t:
##\phi(t) = \ldots##, ##\theta(t)= \ldots##, ##r(t)= \ldots##
Please try to do things in a systematic and proper way, it will help you in the long run.

ok i figured it out after some note digging. but i still don't quite understand how to solve for dr/dt dt.but i just i guess just had a "duh" moment. i shouldve realized that because it centered on the xy plane i can just use cylindrical coordinates.

i can just treat it like the base of a cylinder. so dl would equal ρΦ^dΦ evaluated from 0 to 2π and ρ = R.

so the solution to the problem is simply R2π.

you for the replies.

Related to Line integral of a vector field

What is a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field is a mathematical concept that calculates the total effect of a vector field along a given path or curve. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field at each point along the path.

Why is a line integral of a vector field important?

A line integral of a vector field is important because it allows us to calculate the work done by a vector field along a given path, which has practical applications in physics and engineering. It also helps us understand the behavior of vector fields and their effects on different paths.

How is a line integral of a vector field calculated?

A line integral of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the tangent vector of the path at each point, and then integrating this product over the entire path. This can be done using various integration techniques such as the Riemann sum or the fundamental theorem of calculus.

What is the difference between a line integral and a path integral?

A line integral and a path integral are often used interchangeably, but technically, a line integral is a type of path integral that specifically deals with vector fields. A path integral, on the other hand, can refer to the integration of any type of function along a path.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals of vector fields?

Line integrals of vector fields have various real-life applications, including calculating the work done by a force field on an object, determining the flow rate of a fluid through a given path, and finding the electric potential along an electric field. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other fields of physics and engineering.