Desertification areas are turning into deserts

In summary: I'm not really sure. Basically,what I'm saying is that it's not a one-timephenomenon, but it's something that happensrepeatedly.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I'm not certain the above name of the process
is correct. What I'm talking about is the
phenomenon that's occurring since the end
of the last ice age - more and more areas
are turning into deserts. I also believe
that the opposite also happened many times
(though I'm not certain).

My question is - how does it happen ?
What are the materials involved specificly ?
How can normal Earth turn into sand and back ?
(Links will also be appreciated.)

Thanks !

Live long and prosper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
From what I remember, desertification happen because sand is blown by wind into area were the vegetation is not dense i.e. no or few trees and mostly grass. I don't think the soil is converted to sand but sand is accumulating on soil. I think there is also leeching of nutriment due to lack of vegetation. So the soil get poor in nutriment, vegetation does is diying, and cycle recycle.

do you think that the "speed" of evolution could be determined, by finding out when a new creature arises after a drastic weather change occurs?

Desertification happens partially when the amount of evaporation exceeds the amount of condensation, which begins a drought. This happens partly bc of rising global temperatures. Furthermore, it can lead to hypertonically salinized (salty) soil, which can begin its harm by killing bacteria that convert nitrogen into usable forms, and later kill the plants themselves over time. Overgrazing reduces seed production because domestic animals eat the reproductive parts of the plant, and often eat the endosperm of the plant before it can grow. Exhaustion of soil by means of irresponsible ariculture and lack of irrigation can also contribute in desert formation.

Thanks !
So, I understand it also works the same way
in reverse, right ?

hmm..i suppose you could say that

1. What is desertification?

Desertification refers to the process by which land in dry or semi-arid areas becomes increasingly arid and unable to support vegetation and wildlife. It is often caused by a combination of natural factors such as climate change and human activities like deforestation and overgrazing.

2. How is desertification affecting the environment?

Desertification has severe consequences for the environment, including loss of biodiversity, soil erosion, and depletion of water resources. It can also contribute to climate change by reducing the amount of carbon that can be stored in the soil and increasing the amount of dust and sand in the atmosphere.

3. What areas are most at risk of desertification?

Dry and semi-arid regions, particularly in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, are most at risk of desertification. These areas are already prone to drought and have fragile ecosystems that are easily disrupted by human activities.

4. What can be done to prevent desertification?

Preventing desertification requires a combination of sustainable land management practices, reforestation, and conservation efforts. This includes implementing measures to reduce soil erosion, promoting sustainable agriculture, and restoring degraded land through reforestation and water management strategies.

5. How can individuals help combat desertification?

Individuals can help combat desertification by practicing sustainable land use, reducing their carbon footprint, and supporting conservation efforts. This can include using water wisely, reducing meat consumption, and supporting organizations that work to combat desertification and promote sustainable land management.