Limits of Rational Functions: Dividing by Highest Power?

In summary, the rule for dividing a term by the highest power when evaluating a rational function is an alternative way and it can be useful when factoring or rationalizing is too hard or inefficient. However, it is useful to have more than one way to solve these limits.
Yankel
Hello all

I have a general question. When I look for a limit of a rational function, there is this rule of dividing each term by the highest power.

I wanted to ask if I should divide by the highest power, or the highest power in the denominator, and why ?

I have seen different answers in different sources and I can't understand the difference between these methods, any example I tried looking at gave an identical solution no matter how I solved it.

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Mr Yankel

I hope that I understand your question properly ,,

The idea of evaluating rational polynomial functions where x approaches infinity is to eliminate variable (x) from either denominator or numerator ..

The rule of dividing each term by the highest power for a function of form (polynomial /polynomial) is an alternative way and it is useful when factoring and rationalizing is too hard or inefficient! . However , these all ways lead to the same answer where they can be applied.
Nevertheless ,In some functions , One or two of these three ways seem to be useless .

consider the following limits

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x^3 +x^2 +1}{x^2+x}$$

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x-1}{x^2-1}$$

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x^3 +x^2 -1}{x^2+x}$$

If you substitute directly x by infinity in these limits you would get infinity over infinity which is indeterminate value.

Actually the first limit can be evaluated by rationalizing "since factoring is quite hard" ,, you would get:

$$x + \frac{1}{x^2+x}$$

From the fact that $$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{n}{x}=\infty$$
and $$\lim_{x\to \infty}\frac{n}{x}=0$$

Then by substituting you would get infinity plus 0 which is infinity.
Also you can use the idea of dividing by the highest power to get the same answer.

The second one you can factor it , it will be :

$$\frac{1}{x+1}$$ the limit would be 0 then.
Also you can use the idea of dividing by the highest power to get the same answer

The third one you cannot use either factoring nor rationalizing , you would get indeterminate value , you can only use the idea of highest power !

Our limit would be :

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{\frac{x^3}{x^3} +\frac{x^2}{x^3} -\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{x^2}{x^3}+\frac{x}{x^3}}$$

then

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1 +\frac{1}{x} -\frac{1}{x^3}}{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x}}$$

which leads to

$$\frac{1}{0} = \infty$$

I hope that I have answered your question :)

Last edited:

Related to Limits of Rational Functions: Dividing by Highest Power?

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials. It is written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are both polynomials.

2. What are the limits of a rational function?

The limits of a rational function refer to the behavior of the function as the input approaches a certain value. It can either approach a specific value, go to infinity, or not exist at all.

3. How do you find the limit of a rational function?

To find the limit of a rational function, you can either use algebraic methods such as factoring or long division, or you can use the properties of limits, such as direct substitution or the Squeeze Theorem.

4. What are the types of limits of rational functions?

The types of limits of rational functions are horizontal, vertical, and oblique. A horizontal limit is when the function approaches a specific value as x goes to infinity or negative infinity. A vertical limit is when the function approaches infinity or negative infinity at a certain x-value. An oblique limit is when the function approaches a non-vertical line as x goes to infinity or negative infinity.

5. What is the significance of limits of rational functions?

Limits of rational functions are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function and identify any asymptotes. They also allow us to evaluate the function at points where it may not be defined, and they are used in many real-world applications, such as in calculus and physics.