Limits of functions with negative exponents

In summary, limits of functions with negative exponents refer to the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or infinity, and can be used to model exponential decay and calculate the half-life of a substance. The general rule for finding the limit of a function with a negative exponent is to take the reciprocal of the exponent and evaluate the limit as the exponent approaches infinity. If the negative exponent is in the numerator, the limit will approach infinity, and if it is in the denominator, the limit will approach zero. While a function with negative exponents can have a limit at a specific point, this is only possible if the negative exponent is cancelled out by other terms in the function.
alexk307

Homework Statement

lim h->0 [(11+h)^-1 - 11^-1]/h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the numerator into two fractions with the denominator h. After combining the fractions in the numerator I was left with 121 when I put in 0 for h.

Physics news on Phys.org
alexk307 said:

Homework Statement

lim h->0 [(11+h)^-1 - 11^-1]/h

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made the numerator into two fractions with the denominator h. After combining the fractions in the numerator I was left with 121 when I put in 0 for h.

You have a sign error. Check your work.

Related to Limits of functions with negative exponents

What are limits of functions with negative exponents?

Limits of functions with negative exponents refer to the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or infinity, when the function contains negative exponents.

What is the general rule for finding the limit of a function with a negative exponent?

The general rule for finding the limit of a function with a negative exponent is to take the reciprocal of the exponent and evaluate the limit as the exponent approaches infinity.

What happens to the limit of a function with a negative exponent as the input approaches zero?

If the negative exponent is in the numerator, the limit will approach infinity. If the negative exponent is in the denominator, the limit will approach zero.

Can a function with negative exponents have a limit at a specific point?

Yes, a function with negative exponents can have a limit at a specific point if the negative exponent is cancelled out by other terms in the function.

How can limits of functions with negative exponents be used in real-life applications?

Limits of functions with negative exponents can be used in real-life applications to model exponential decay, such as in radioactive decay or population decline. They can also be used to calculate the half-life of a substance or determine the maximum capacity of a system.