Limits FRW universe , rate of expansion, k=-1,0.

In summary: Otherwise you have to use the more complicated derivation.Yes, the last line of what you did is incorrect.
binbagsss
Hi,

I'm looking at deriving the limits of ##\dot{a}## as ## a-> \infty ## , using the Friedmann equation and conservtion of the ##_{00}## component of the energy momentum tensor for a perfect fluid. Both of these equations respectively are:

## \dot{a^{2}}=\frac{8\pi G}{3} \rho a^{2} + | k |## (from Friedmann and using ## k \leq 0## [1]

## 0= -\partial_{0} \rho - 3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}(\rho + p)## [2]

##a## is the scale factor, ##\rho## is the density

I've just seen a proof when modelling this perfect fluid as dust, where dust obeys ##\rho a^{3} ## is a constant. I'm looking at how you generalise this proof to, radiation say - which obeys ##\rho a^{4} ## is constant. I will now state the solution proof for dust, and my attempt for the radiation proof. My question is whether my radiation proof is valid - I doubt it because the last step looks a bit dodgy - can you simply divided by ## a ## and have the limits still hold - that is ## \dot{a^{2}} -> | k | ## ...

Dust Proof:

## \partial_{0} \rho a^{3} = a^{3} (\dot{\rho} + 3\frac{\rho\dot{a}}{a})= -3pa^{2}\dot{a}##.
RHS ## < \leq 0 ## => ## \rho a^{2} -> 0 ## as ## a -> \infty ##
=> ## \dot{a^{2}} -> | k | ## from eq [1].

My Radiation Proof:
- Simply multiply eq [1] by a, eq[2] by ##a^{4}## as a pose to ##a^{3}## as done in the worked dust proof. I then have similar conclusions , so ##\rho a^{3} -> 0## as ##a -> \infty ## and so by eq[1] multiplied by a I conclude that ##a\dot{a^{2}} -> a | k | ## .

This is the line I'm concerned with, dividing by ##a## am I then ok to claim that ##\dot{a^{2}} -> | k | ##

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##\rho a^4 = c## implies ##\dot {a^2} = \frac{c'}{a^2} + |k|## with constants c and c'. As ##a \to \infty##, ##\dot {a^2} \to |k|##?

Pressure will be different for dust and photons, that could be relevant in the derivation of those equations.

mfb said:
##\rho a^4 = c## implies ##\dot {a^2} = \frac{c'}{a^2} + |k|## with constants c and c'. As ##a \to \infty##, ##\dot {a^2} \to |k|##?

Pressure will be different for dust and photons, that could be relevant in the derivation of those equations.

Thanks. That looks like a better way to do it. Looking att the full derivation, apologie I don't have time to include it all here, pressure varying will not affect the derivation. So I conlude that ##\dot {a^2} -> 1## for an open universe with k=-1 and ##\dot {a^2} -> 0## when k=0. Are these the known limiting expansion values for the dust and radiation case? That they have the same limit, does this sound correct?

You are considering the evolution of a universe with negligible mass and radiation and without cosmological constant. There is nothing that would accelerate or slow expansion, the solution looks natural.

mfb said:

Sorry to re-bump. So post 2 proves the limits without needing the energy-momentum tensor or the conservation of energy? I'm just wondering why the source I used , used them if it can be shown without.

Is what I did generally mathematically incorrect?

In an empty universe (##\rho \approx 0##) without cosmological constant, the constant ##\dot a## is a direct consequence of the first Friedmann equation.
The evolution until the universe is nearly empty is different and can need a more detailed analysis. If the initial matter density is too high, you never reach that point.

Not really relevant to the discussion above but...

FRW cosmology is "introductory physics homework?" Wow. I wish I had gone to a school where that was the case.:)

DEvens said:
Not really relevant to the discussion above but...

FRW cosmology is "introductory physics homework?" Wow. I wish I had gone to a school where that was the case.:)

ha. it says undergrad in the description. I'm a final year :)

Is the last line of what I did mathematially incorrect?

If you know ##a## has a lower bound (at least after some time T), it works.

Related to Limits FRW universe , rate of expansion, k=-1,0.

1. What is the FRW universe model?

The FRW (Friedmann-Robertson-Walker) universe model is a mathematical representation of the universe that is based on the principles of general relativity. It describes the expansion of the universe and the distribution of matter and energy within it.

2. What are "limits" in the context of the FRW universe model?

Limits refer to the boundaries or constraints of the FRW universe model. These can include assumptions about the behavior of the universe, as well as physical constraints such as the speed of light and the amount of matter and energy present.

3. How does the rate of expansion affect the FRW universe model?

The rate of expansion, also known as the Hubble constant, is a key factor in the FRW universe model. It determines the overall scale and age of the universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy. A higher rate of expansion can lead to a larger and older universe, while a lower rate can result in a smaller and younger universe.

4. What is the significance of k=-1 and k=0 in the FRW universe model?

K=-1 and k=0 are two possible values for the curvature of the universe in the FRW model. A universe with k=-1 is said to have a hyperbolic geometry, meaning it has a negative curvature and is open, while a universe with k=0 has a flat geometry and is infinite in size. These values are important in determining the overall shape and size of the universe.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect the value of k in the FRW model?

The value of k in the FRW model is directly related to the rate of expansion. As the universe expands, the curvature of space-time changes, leading to a change in the value of k. For example, if the universe expands at an increasing rate, the curvature will eventually approach k=0 and the universe will become flat.