Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Limit

• Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Someone told me that the limit as x goes to zero of (sinx+1)/(x) is 1 but I think it's quite obvious that its limit is infinity. I hope you can tell me which is the correct answer? 1 or infinity? Many thanks in advance for replying.

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x+1}{x}=\infty$

Last edited:

Plato

MHB Math Helper
Jan 27, 2012
Someone told me that the limit as x goes to zero of (sinx+1)/(x) is 1 but I think it's quite obvious that its limit is infinity. I hope you can tell me which is the correct answer? 1 or infinity? Many thanks in advance for replying.
misread the OP

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Are you sure that you have typed that correctly? Can you add brackets to remove any possible ambiguity?

But yes, as it stands the limit:

\[ \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)+1}{x}=\infty \]

but note:

\[ \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1 \]

CB

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
$\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x+1}{x}=\infty$

"Someone" may have been referring to $\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin(x+1)}{x}$, which is 1.
Since \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} [\sin(x+1)]=\sin(1)\ne 0 \) your limit

\[ \lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin(x+1)}{x} =\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\sin(1)}{x} =\infty \]

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
  • Admin

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks to all!

Are you sure that you have typed that correctly? Can you add brackets to remove any possible ambiguity?
OK and I'm sorry. I meant to ask:
\[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x} \]
Now you all have made it very clear that
\[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}=\infty \]
That's my answer too!
Thanks.

I think I had better learn Latex if I want to ask more question(s) on this site.:)

Last edited:

melese

Feb 24, 2012
Thanks to all!

OK and I'm sorry. I meant to ask:
\[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x} \]
Now you all have made it very clear that
\[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}=\infty \]
That's my answer too!
Thanks.

I think I had better learn Latex if I want to ask more question(s) on this site.:)
To anemone,
the limit \[\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}\] does not exist! Reason: supose the limit existed, then \[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}=\lim_{x\to 0}( \frac{sin(x)}{x}+\frac{1}{x})=\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}+\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}=1+\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}\].

But, \(\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{1}{x}=\infty\), whereas \(\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0^-} \frac{1}{x}=-\infty\); the point you should notice is the distinction of one-sided limits.

It follows that the two one-sided limits exits, but they're different, and that means no limit at \(x=0\).

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
to anemone,
the limit \[\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}\] does not exist! Reason: Supose the limit existed, then \[ \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)+1}{x}=\lim_{x\to 0}( \frac{sin(x)}{x}+\frac{1}{x})=\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x}+\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}=1+\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{1}{x}\].

But, \(\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0^+} \frac{1}{x}=\infty\), whereas \(\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0^-} \frac{1}{x}=-\infty\); the point you should notice is the distinction of one-sided limits.

It follows that the two one-sided limits exits, but they're different, and that means no limit at \(x=0\).
The one-sided limits do not exist!

Cb