The universe contains only one electron?

In summary, according to this conversation, there are more than one electron in the universe, and the way that this is explained is by positrons being electrons that go back in time.
lvlastermind
I have asked this question before and I was unclear about the answer that I recieved. The way that it was explained before is that when an electron comes incontact with a gamma ray it goes backwards in time. The moving backwards in time of the electron is what we call the positron. Thus, this allows the electron to be in more than one place at the same time, and leading to the untimate conclusion that there may only be one electron in the universe. Does anyone have anything that they could add to this? Or do they have another solution. Also, do you know of any books or sites that would explain this in more detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Old Man Electron

OF COURSE there's only one electron in the universe! I mean, it's just common sense. But let me tell you, by now it's got to be one wise old electron! If I were you, I wouldn't go trying to put something over on it -- that electron has seen it all, and it's got very little patience for nonsense.

(Actually, I heard a couple of years ago that the electron was actually thinking of retiring, and of course it had to be talked out of it -- cause no electron, no universe. Hopefully now they've got an electron-in-training to take over when the time comes -- probably some young lepton with big dreams and a lot of energy. Let's hope so. It'll sure need it for that job!)

thanks for your 2 cents...or should i say 1. :D

I believe that Richard Fynman played with this type theory. I read a discripton of his ideas in one John Gribbin's books In search of Schrodingers Cat Give it a read.

alright, thanks

Feynman used the "positron is an electron that goes back in time" idea quite a bit. I'm not a fan of that interpretation. He has a book called QED that would talk some about it, but I don't recall him putting forth a one electron model.

I would propose that there are more than one electron in the universe. The amount of matter in the universe is usually explained as being caused by CP violation (matter and antimatter don't have exactly the same properties) at the time of the big bang.

asdfjkl said:
Feynman used the "positron is an electron that goes back in time" idea quite a bit. I'm not a fan of that interpretation. He has a book called QED that would talk some about it, but I don't recall him putting forth a one electron model.

I would propose that there are more than one electron in the universe. The amount of matter in the universe is usually explained as being caused by CP violation (matter and antimatter don't have exactly the same properties) at the time of the big bang.
This is the concept that I was thinking of. Not one electron but that a positron is an electron moving backwards in time.

o really? Thats interesting, I will have to read the book. thx

Im confused about a couple of things. For one, how stars would than work. According to the Proton-Proton chain a star has electrons and positrons routinely annihilating each other producing gamma rays. However, if positrons are electrons moving back in time than would that mean that electrons that are being annihilated are actually from the future? But than where did the positrons originally come from? Also, if electrons are positrons moving back in time than would that mean antimatter is just matter moving back in time? And also is there an explanation for how a gamma ray can turn an electron back in time?

What evidence supports the idea that the universe contains only one electron?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the universe contains only one electron. In fact, our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics suggest that there are likely billions of electrons in the universe.

Why do some people believe that the universe contains only one electron?

Some people may believe that the universe contains only one electron because of a concept known as the "One Electron Universe" theory, which suggests that all electrons are actually just one electron moving back and forth in time. However, this theory is not widely accepted in the scientific community and is not supported by evidence.

What would be the implications if the universe did contain only one electron?

If the universe did contain only one electron, it would mean that all matter in the universe is essentially made up of the same particle. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.

How do scientists study and observe electrons in the universe?

Scientists study and observe electrons by using a variety of techniques, such as particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the behavior and properties of electrons in different environments and under different conditions.

Is there any research being done to determine the true number of electrons in the universe?

Yes, there is ongoing research and study being done to better understand the number of electrons in the universe. Scientists use various methods and data from different sources, such as observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, to estimate the total number of electrons in the universe.