Calculate % of Carbon Decay in Ancient Organic Material | Physics Problem 18"

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, investigators found a sample of organic material with 19 g of carbon and estimate it to be 22922 years old. To determine the percentage of carbon-14 that has decayed, one must first find the half-life of carbon-14, which can be found in a textbook. Then, by dividing the half-life into 22922, we can find how many times it has decayed. Finally, by subtracting the result from 1, we can determine that 93.8% of the carbon-14 in the material has decayed.
mustang
Problem 18. A sample of organic material is found to contain 19 g of carbon. Based on samples of pottery found at the site, investigators believe the material is about 22922 years old.
Estimate what percentage of the material's carbon-14 has decayed. Answer in units of %.
Note; How do you do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you do is look up the "half-life" of carbon-14. It's probably in your textbook, I'll call it "H" here. If T= H, then 1/2 or 50% of the carbon-14 has decayed. If T= 2H, then (1/2)2= 1/4 is left so 3/4 has decayed. If T= 3H, then (1/2)3 has decayed. How many times does the half-life of carbon 14 divide into 22922? (include decimal places). What is 1/2 to that power? That's how much is left. Once you know that, subtract from 1 to find what part has decayed.

I figured it out.

Thanks! I did what you said and got 93.8
degrees.

I do hope you meant "percent" rather than "degrees"!

1. What is the definition of a physics problem?

A physics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of fundamental physics principles and equations to solve. It often involves analyzing and interpreting data, making predictions, and using critical thinking skills.

2. What are the steps to solving a physics problem?

The steps to solving a physics problem typically include reading and understanding the problem, identifying the given quantities and what needs to be solved, selecting and applying the appropriate equations, and checking the answer for reasonableness and accuracy.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to use diagrams or visual aids to aid in understanding.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include using incorrect equations, not paying attention to units, and not showing all necessary steps and calculations. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it is reasonable and within the expected range.

5. How can I apply physics problem-solving skills to real-life situations?

Physics problem-solving skills can be applied to real-life situations by using the same approach of identifying and analyzing the given information, applying relevant equations and principles, and arriving at a solution. This can be useful in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.