Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Limit representation of Euler-Mascheroni constant

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
We have the following functional equation of digamma

\(\displaystyle \psi(x+1)-\psi(x)=\frac{1}{x}\)

It is then readily seen that

\(\displaystyle -\gamma= \lim_{z\to 0} \left\{ \psi(z) +\frac{1}{z} \right\}\)

Prove the following

\(\displaystyle -\gamma = \lim_{z \to 0} \left\{ \Gamma(z) -\frac{1}{z} \right\}\)​

Last edited:

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Additional exercise

Prove that

\(\displaystyle \gamma =\lim_{z \to 1}\left\{\zeta(z)-\frac{1}{z-1} \right\}\)​

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
The Taylor expansion of $\Gamma(z+1)$ at the origin is

$$ \Gamma(z+1) = \Gamma(1) + \Gamma'(1) z + \mathcal{O}(z^{2}) = 1- \gamma z + \mathcal{O}(z^{2}) $$

$$ \implies \Gamma(z) = \frac{1}{z} - \gamma + \mathcal{O}(z) $$

Therefore,

$$ \lim_{z \to 0} \left( \Gamma(z) -\frac{1}{z} \right) = \lim_{z \to 0} \Big( - \gamma + \mathcal{O}(z) \Big) = - \gamma $$

For all complex values $z$, the Riemann zeta function has the integral representation

$$ \zeta(s) = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\sin (z \arctan t)}{(1+t^{2})^{z/2} (e^{2 \pi t} - 1)} \ dt + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{z-1} $$

http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge...epresentation-riemann-zeta-function-6398.html

Therefore,

$$ \lim_{z \to 1} \Big( \zeta(s) - \frac{1}{z-1} \Big) = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t}{t^2+1} \frac{1}{e^{2 \pi t}-1}\ dt + \frac{1}{2}$$

Differentiating Binet's log-gamma formula,

Binet's Log Gamma Formulas -- from Wolfram MathWorld

$$-2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t}{t^2+z^{2}} \frac{1}{e^{2 \pi t}-1}\ dt = \psi(z) -\log z -1 + \frac{1}{2z} + 1 $$

$$ \implies 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{t}{t^2+1} \frac{1}{e^{2 \pi t}-1}\ dt = -\psi(1) - \frac{1}{2} = \gamma - \frac{1}{2}$$

So

$$ \lim_{z \to 1} \Big( \zeta(s) - \frac{1}{z-1} \Big)= \gamma$$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Hey RV , You are solving all my challenges . I should post extremely difficult questions . Here is a relatively elementary proof.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Well, I won't count that as a solution (Nerd). I already saw that but how would you prove that \(\displaystyle \gamma_0\equiv \gamma\) ?... There is an analytic way to prove the above limit.
The Stieltjes Constants are defined as follows...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{n} = \lim_{m \rightarrow \infty} (\sum_{k=1}^{m} \frac{\ln^{n} k}{k} - \frac{\ln^{n+1} m} {n + 1})\ (1)$

... so that for n=0 is...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{0} = \lim_{m \rightarrow \infty} (\sum_{k=1}^{m} \frac{1}{k} - \ln m) = \gamma\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
The Stieltjes Constants are defined as follows...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{n} = \lim_{m \rightarrow \infty} (\sum_{k=1}^{m} \frac{\ln^{n} k}{k} - \frac{\ln^{n+1} m} {n + 1})\ (1)$
If we start by this definition , then how to prove the expansion of zeta function around the singularity \(\displaystyle z=1\) ?

\(\displaystyle \zeta(z)=\frac{1}{z-1}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n\, }{n! }\gamma_n(z-1)^n\)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
If we start by this definition , then how to prove the expansion of zeta function around the singularity \(\displaystyle z=1\) ?

\(\displaystyle \zeta(z)=\frac{1}{z-1}+\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n\, }{n! }\gamma_n(z-1)^n\)

About 130 years ago the Dutch Mathematician Thomas Joannes Stieltjes has arrived to the following Laurent series expansion…

$\displaystyle \zeta (s) = \frac{1}{s - 1} + \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{\gamma_{n}}{n!}\ (1 - s)^{n}\ (1)$

... where the constants $\gamma_{n}$ are given by...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{n} = \frac{(-1)^{n}\ n!}{2\ \pi}\ \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} e^{- i\ n\ x}\ \zeta (1 + e^{i\ x})\ d x\ (2)$

... and are obtained applying the Cauchy integral formulas to the circular path that is indicated with $\lambda$ in the figure...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. because it is not pretty elegant to say 'zeta of zeta' for the Riemann Zeta Function the independent complex variable is usually indicated with the letter s...

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Hey chisigma , do you have a link or original proof of Stieltjes. Seems interesting for me .

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012