Limit problem ( can't find the mistake)

In summary, the limit of (cos(x)*cos(2x)*cos(3x)*...*cos(nx)-1)/x^2 as x approaches 0 is -n(n+1)(2n+1)/12, which is the sum of the squares of the first n integers divided by 12. The professor's answer of -n(n+1)(2n+1)/2 is incorrect.
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

Hi. My professor asked me if I know to solve this limit and I tried doing it, however I didn't get the same answer as him.
Question: What is the limit of (cos(x)*cos(2x)*cos(3x)*...*cos(nx)-1)/x^2 as x approches 0
20160526_131520.jpg

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

20160526_131531.jpg
[/B]
So to find this limit I used L'Hospital's rule.
I derived the top and bottom function and I noticed that each part of the derivative can be calculated using sin(x)/x as x ->0 =1. Then I noticed that the whole thing equals -(1^2+2^2+3^2+...n^2)/2
However my professor said that the whole thing should equal -n(n+1)(2n+1)/2
Could somebody please find the part where I made the mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
Matejxx1 said:

Homework Statement

Hi. My professor asked me if I know to solve this limit and I tried doing it, however I didn't get the same answer as him.
Question: What is the limit of (cos(x)*cos(2x)*cos(3x)*...*cos(nx)-1)/x^2 as x approches 0
View attachment 101263

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 101262 [/B]
So to find this limit I used L'Hospital's rule.
I derived the top and bottom function and I noticed that each part of the derivative can be calculated using sin(x)/x as x ->0 =1. Then I noticed that the whole thing equals -(1^2+2^2+3^2+...n^2)/2
However my professor said that the whole thing should equal -n(n+1)(2n+1)/2
Could somebody please find the part where I made the mistake
Your result is correct but not complete. The sum of the squares of the first n integer is n(n+1)(2n+1)/6
Your teacher made a mistake.
http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/mathematics/series/sumNaturalSquares.htm

Likes Matejxx1
Thank you. So the final answer -n(n+1)(2n+1)/12 would be correct?

Matejxx1 said:
Thank you. So the final answer -n(n+1)(2n+1)/12 would be correct?
Yes.

Likes Matejxx1

Related to Limit problem ( can't find the mistake)

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value. It is used to understand the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. What are some common mistakes made when solving a limit problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a limit problem include forgetting to consider the behavior of the function at the specific input value, using incorrect algebraic techniques, or not taking into account the rules of indeterminate forms.

3. How can I find the mistake in a limit problem?

To find the mistake in a limit problem, check your algebraic steps, make sure you have considered all the relevant information, and use the rules of limits to simplify the problem. It is also helpful to go through the problem step by step to identify where the mistake may have occurred.

4. What are some tips for solving limit problems correctly?

When solving limit problems, it is important to carefully check your work, use algebraic techniques correctly, and consider the behavior of the function at the specific input value. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the rules of limits and practice solving various types of limit problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limit problems?

To improve your understanding of limit problems, it is helpful to practice solving various types of limit problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed, and review the rules of limits. It is also beneficial to work through examples and apply the concept to real-world situations.