Derivatives of natural logs and exponents

In summary, to find the derivative of the function f(x)=(ln x)^x, we can first rewrite it as f(x)= e^{xln(ln x)}, and then use the chain rule and product rule to find the derivative as (ln x)^x * (ln(lnx) + 1/ln x). Another approach is to take the log of both sides and use the chain rule to find the derivative.
noboost4you
The problem I have is to find the derivative of the function:

f(x) = (ln x)^x

I know the derivative of ln x is 1/x, but the exponent is throwing me off. Can anyone offering any help? Thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]a^{b}=e^{b\ln a}[/tex]

so [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex]. now use product and chain rules.

Last edited:
Another (very similar) approach is to take the log of both sides before you take the derivative.. use the chain rule to write d(ln(f(x))/dx in terms of df/dx, and solve for df/dx.

Originally posted by phoenixthoth
[tex]a^{b}=e^{b\ln a}[/tex]

so [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex]. now use product and chain rules.

Would I then have to substitute? I'm still not completely following... Thanks again

Last edited:
as long as your answer has only [tex]x[/tex]'s in it, it should be ok. you could simplify the [tex]e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex] back to [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}[/tex] if you want.

would the derivative of (ln x)^x be:

xe^(1/x) ??

i don't know how to use the power and chain rule on e^xln(ln x)

we have [tex]y=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex].

this can be written as [tex]y=e^{u}[/tex] where [tex]u=x\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex].

the chain rule is that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=e^{u}[/tex]. to find [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex], note that [tex]u[/tex] is the
product of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex].

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=\left( \frac{d}{dx}x\right) \ln \left( \ln x\right) +x\frac{d
}{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex]. [tex]\frac{d}{dx}x=1[/tex] and to find [tex]\frac{d}{dx}
\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex], it may be useful to write [tex]v=\ln w[/tex] where [tex]w=\ln x
[/tex].

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) =\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dw}\frac{dw}{dx
}.[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dw}=\frac{1}{w}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dw}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]. hence [tex]\frac{d
}{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) =\frac{1}{w}\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{\ln x}\frac{1}{
x}=\frac{1}{x\ln x}[/tex].

putting this back into the most recent expression for [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex], we
get [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=1\cdot \ln \left( \ln x\right) +x\left( \frac{1}{x\ln x}
\right) =\ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}[/tex].

putting this back into the most recent expression for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], we
get [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=e^{u}\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}
\right) =e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1
}{\ln x}\right) [/tex].

since [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex], we get [tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +
\frac{1}{\ln x}\right) =\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}\left( \ln \left( \ln
x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}\right) [/tex]. either the middle or right side of this equation may be acceptable.

Last edited:
I understand what you wrote, but I just can't figure out how you turned (ln x)^x into e^xln(ln x)

Please elaborate. Otherwise, everything else has been very helpful.

it's based on the property [tex]e^{\ln a}=a[/tex]. if we raise both sides to the [tex]b[/tex] power, we get [tex]\left( e^{\ln a}\right) ^{b}=a^{b}[/tex] which becomes [tex]a^{b}=e^{b\ln a}[/tex]. in this case, [tex]a=\ln x[/tex] and [tex]b=x[/tex].

Last edited:

What are derivatives of natural logs and exponents?

Derivatives of natural logs and exponents are mathematical functions that represent the rate of change or slope of a natural logarithmic or exponential function at a specific point. They are used in calculus to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as in many real-world applications such as finance and economics.

What is the derivative of a natural log?

The derivative of a natural log function, ln(x), is 1/x. This means that the slope of the tangent line to the curve at any point is equal to 1 divided by the corresponding x-value.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, such as f(x) = ax, you can use the power rule in calculus. The derivative is equal to a times x to the power of a minus 1, or f'(x) = ax^(a-1).

What is the chain rule for derivatives?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested inside another. It states that the derivative of f(g(x)) is equal to the derivative of the outer function (f) evaluated at the inner function (g(x)), multiplied by the derivative of the inner function (g'(x)).

Can derivatives of natural logs and exponents be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, derivatives of natural logs and exponents are used to solve many real-world problems involving exponential growth and decay. For example, they can be used in finance to calculate compound interest, in physics to model radioactive decay, and in biology to study population growth and decay.