Why is beauty important for humans?

• Thread starter Jin314159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beauty
In summary, the purpose of taste is to indicate which foods are fit for human consumption. Similarly, beauty can be seen as an evolutionary impulse, guiding us towards potential partners who are genetically advantageous for procreation. However, modern cultural influences and the use of cosmetics have distorted these natural indicators of beauty. This raises questions about how sexual selection and natural selection will interact in the future.
Jin314159
Let me first start by talking about the purpose of taste.

An apple tastes good to us, not because it's just inherently tasty (if that makes sense at all) but it's because our taste buds have evolved indicate that apples (and other items as well) are fit for human consumption. I mean, it's no surprise that items which we can consume for nutritional value tastes good (bread, fruits, vegetables, etc.) while things that harm us don't (feces, mud, rocks, dirt, etc.)

In the same sense, beauty can be thought of as an isomorphism of taste. What we percieve as beautiful may actually be an evolutionary impulse, telling us what who we should try to breed with and who to avoid. Now, I know some of you will come reply with stuff like: "My last girlfriend was sooo hot, but she totally was bad for me." That's not exactly the type of beauty I'm talking about. I'm talking about the general/universal indicators of beauty: curvature on a woman (fit for child-bearing), broad shoulders on a man (powerful, hence able to support the family), smooth complexion (overall good health), etc. In this sense, beauty is simply natural selection at work.

But also keep in mind that the invention of modern cosmetics, as well as new cultural influences have distorted these natural indicators of universal beauty. A classic example is how curved and voluptuous woman are no longer attractive, while wire-thin and overly tall is allegedly beautiful now. It would be interesting to consider how these cultural influences (sexual selection if you will) will interact with the natural selection of beauty.

Physics news on Phys.org
We could buy everyone fur coats and see what happens.

Fat used to be a symbol of prosperity, and now it is a symbol of excess. Toxins and pollutants are stored in fat cells, maybe we are even more sophisticated on a gut level, than we can imagine.

I already said all this in the thread simply entitled "beauty." I suppose it's worth bringing up again, though.

beauty beatiful haha i m not sure

nature attrration between opposing gender

so baby could exist. and generation goes on.

Why focus on the procreation part? Perceive beauty to ascend new heights of vanity. Why? So when there's too much time for beauty there's malnutritioned anorexics and something bad follows and a balance is established once again.

1. Why do humans place value on beauty?

The concept of beauty is deeply ingrained in human culture and is often associated with positive qualities such as health, fertility, and success. Our brains are wired to recognize and appreciate aesthetic qualities, which can serve as a signal for potential mates, resources, or social status.

2. How does beauty affect human behavior?

Research shows that beauty can influence our behavior in a variety of ways. For example, attractive individuals are more likely to be perceived as trustworthy, competent, and likable. They may also receive preferential treatment and opportunities in social and professional settings.

3. Is beauty only subjective or are there universal standards?

While there is a certain level of subjectivity when it comes to defining beauty, there are also some universal standards that tend to be consistent across cultures and time periods. Symmetry, proportion, and balance are often considered to be key elements of beauty, as well as certain physical features such as clear skin, full lips, and a symmetrical face.

4. How does beauty impact mental health?

Beauty can have a significant impact on mental health, both positively and negatively. On one hand, experiencing or witnessing beauty can promote feelings of happiness, relaxation, and well-being. On the other hand, societal pressure to conform to certain beauty standards can lead to low self-esteem, body image issues, and even eating disorders.

5. Can beauty be measured or quantified?

While beauty is largely subjective, there have been attempts to measure and quantify it using various methods such as facial symmetry analysis, mathematical formulas, and surveys. However, these methods are not universally accepted and can be influenced by cultural and personal biases. Ultimately, beauty remains a subjective and complex concept that cannot be easily quantified.