The wave nature of light

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a monochromatic light incident on a Youngs double split setup with a slit separation of 30um. The question asks for the separation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe. Using the formula sin[the]= m[lamb] /d and geometry, the distance is calculated to be 8.60cm.
Dx
Hello,

A monochromatic light is incident on a Youngs double spilt setup that has a slit separation of 30um. the resultant bridge fringe separation if 2.15cm on a 1.2 m from the double slit. what is the separation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe?

I know that d=30um, L=1.2m and m=0, 3 orders. ao using x_1=L[the]_1 = 1.2(?)=2.15 = 17.92
I think I am lost on what there trying to get me to solve for ie. what is the separation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe? what do they mean? I have this formula sin[the]= m[lamb] /d. How do i solve for it, i must be close, right?
Plz help?
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dx
I think I am lost on what there trying to get me to solve for ie. what is the separation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe? what do they mean?

They mean, "How far apart on the screen are those two fringes?"

I have this formula sin[the]= m[lamb] /d.

OK, now use geometry. Draw the setup, and you will have a triangle with one angle θ and the unknown distance opposite that angle.

Thats it tom.
You make it too easy, i got 8.60cm as my answer. is that correct?
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

1. What is the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality of light is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which states that light can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties depending on the experimental conditions. This means that light can sometimes act as a wave, with characteristics such as interference and diffraction, and other times behave like a particle, with properties like momentum and energy.

2. How does the wave nature of light explain the phenomena of interference and diffraction?

The wave nature of light explains the phenomena of interference and diffraction by describing light as a series of waves that interact with each other. When two waves meet, they can either reinforce each other (constructive interference) or cancel each other out (destructive interference). This explains the patterns of light and dark bands observed in interference experiments. Diffraction, on the other hand, occurs when light waves encounter an obstacle or aperture and bend around it, causing a spreading out of the wavefront and resulting in characteristic patterns of light and dark regions.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in the wave nature of light?

In the wave nature of light, wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of light waves and their interactions with matter.

4. How does the wave nature of light explain the phenomenon of color?

The wave nature of light explains the phenomenon of color through the concept of different wavelengths of light corresponding to different colors in the visible spectrum. When white light, which is a mixture of all the colors in the spectrum, is passed through a prism, it separates into its component colors. This is because each color has a different wavelength, and the prism bends each wavelength to a different degree, resulting in the separation of colors. This also explains how objects appear different colors to us, as they selectively absorb and reflect different wavelengths of light.

5. What is the significance of the wave nature of light in modern physics?

The wave nature of light is of great significance in modern physics as it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It also plays a crucial role in many important technologies, such as lasers, fiber optics, and communication devices. Additionally, the wave-particle duality of light has led to significant advancements in our understanding of quantum mechanics and has opened up new areas of research in fields such as quantum optics and quantum computing.