Differences between the magnetic field B and the field H

In summary, the difference between the magnetic fields B and H is that B is constant, while H is dependent on the magnetic susceptibility of the material. H is easier to calculate than B, and is often used to refer to the magnetic field strength.
Beer-monster
I'm currently writing a lab report on magnetic susceptibilty yet the notation most of theory behind the behaviour confuses me. What exactly (and simply) is the differences between the magnetic field B and the field H.

Thanks for any help as I can't really continue the report without being any clearer on this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
H=(1/μ0)B-M

B is magnetic field, M is magnetization.

M=χm(H) (for linear media)

As well, B=μ0(H+M)=μ0(1+χm)H=μH

μ is the permeability of the material, and of course χm is the magnetic susceptibility.

Um...what would that be in words. I have the equations but I have to define the symbols logically, but different texts have differents tersm for B and H, and both are often reffered to as the magnetic field strength. However I measured the strength B and need to use the equation H=B/[mu]0 to find H, but should say what the difference is between the values, and why I need to use one rather than the other. Unfortunately I have no idea what the difference is, and why i use one type of field in one part and the other in another. Its confusing.

You're right, it is a confusing topic. Some books use B as the magnetic field, others H. Basically, think of B as the magnetic field, like you are used to. H is introduced mostly as a convenient way to rearrange Maxwell's eqs. Specifically, it allows you to write the eqs in terms of something called the free current (as opposed to bound current). Free current is the current that you would actually put into the sample, and have complete control over. It is therefore often easier to calculate H for a particular material than B, which can depend on properties of the material that cannot be controlled.

The name for H itself varies, but many call it the auxiliary magnetic field.

BTW, H=B/μ, where μ=μ0(1+χm)

Thanks

1. What is the difference between the magnetic field B and the field H?

The magnetic field B is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle. The field H, also known as the magnetic field intensity, is a vector quantity that describes the strength of the magnetic field produced by a magnet or current-carrying wire.

2. How are the magnetic field B and the field H related?

The magnetic field B and the field H are related by the permeability of the medium in which they exist. The relationship is given by B = μH, where μ is the permeability of the medium. In free space, μ is equal to a constant value, known as the permeability of free space, μ0.

3. Can the magnetic field B and the field H be measured directly?

The magnetic field B and the field H cannot be measured directly. Instead, they are usually measured indirectly by using a magnetic compass or a device called a magnetometer. These instruments detect the presence and strength of a magnetic field by measuring the force it exerts on a magnet or a current-carrying wire.

4. How do the magnetic field B and the field H affect different materials?

Materials can have different responses to magnetic fields depending on their magnetic properties. In diamagnetic materials, the magnetic field B and the field H have no effect, while in paramagnetic materials, they align the atomic dipoles with the field. In ferromagnetic materials, the magnetic field B and the field H can induce strong permanent magnetization.

5. Are the magnetic field B and the field H used in different applications?

Yes, the magnetic field B and the field H have different applications. For example, the field H is used in the design of electric motors and generators, while the magnetic field B is used in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines. Both fields are also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as particle accelerators and magnetic levitation systems.