Why does the Earth rotate as it orbits the sun?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
In summary, The Earth's continuous rotation as it orbits the sun can be explained by the conservation of angular momentum and the principle of inertia. The Earth formed in a rotating and revolving state due to the asymmetrical collapse of the original nebula and the tangential velocities of its particles. The impact of mass onto the center mass during this collapse also contributed to the Earth's spinning motion. This is supported by the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that an object in motion will continue to move unless acted upon by an outside force.
scott_sieger
[SOLVED] round and round she goes

Hi guys/galls,

A quick question you may be able to help me with.

Has anyone got or seen firm theories that explain the Earth's continuuous rotation as it orbits the sun?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by scott_sieger
Hi guys/galls,

A quick question you may be able to help me with.

Has anyone got or seen firm theories that explain the Earth's continuuous rotation as it orbits the sun?

conservation of angular momentum.

F = m a = omega2*r = G*M*m/r^3*r

If you are interrested, I have coded a Matlab script which simulates planetary motion for input-able initial position and velocities (ignoring pertubations).

Last edited:
Welcome to Physics Forums, Scott!

Inertia. (in addition to the above)
The Earth formed in a rotating/revolving state and has continued that way because nothing has stopped it (not much friction in space). As Janus indicated, conservation of angular momentum is the reason the Earth formed in a rotating/revolving state (the original nebula that formed our solar system came together in an asymmetrical fashion which resulted in a net spin & the velocity of the forming planets, with respect to their distance from the sun, determined the characteristics of their orbits).

p.s. Which did you mean...?
rotation = Earth going around its axis
revolution = Earth going around the sun

F = m a
In words, that's Newton's 1st: 'An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.'

Hi Guys,

I think you are all correct in what you are saying.

It's just that to say the a body retains it's revolving state doesn't explain whay it does retain it's state. Maybe I am looking a little deeper with my questions.

It was stated that the Earth formed in a rotational state and has stayed that way since...this is proabably quite correct...but I question why did it form in a revolving state in the first instance.

I'm sorry if I seem pedantic.

What is the energy of inertia?

Originally posted by scott_sieger
It's just that to say the a body retains it's revolving state doesn't explain whay it does retain it's state. Maybe I am looking a little deeper with my questions.

The very difference between a scientific law (description) and a theory (explanation)! Good job!

It was stated that the Earth formed in a rotational state and has stayed that way since...this is proabably quite correct...but I question why did it form in a revolving state in the first instance.

As I said...the asymmetic collapse of the original nebula resulted in a net spin. Gravity tended to pull the bits and pieces together toward a common center (or many common centers...the sun, planets, etc.). But with tangential velocities going on, particles don't fall straight to a center, they take spiraling paths (orbits). When impacting the center mass, the impactor delivers that energy to the center mass. Never mind dust particles...imagine a collision of a 1-km asteroid into a 5 km asteroid. It would be tough to bring the two together without imparting some kind of off-center movement.

And per the conservation of angular momentum, the more mass you bring toward center, the faster the whole system spins (like an ice skater bringing in his/her arms to spin faster).

1. What is the meaning of "Round and round she goes"?

"Round and round she goes" is a common phrase that is often used to describe something that is repetitive or cyclical in nature. It can also refer to a person or object that is moving in a circular motion.

2. Where did the phrase "Round and round she goes" originate?

The origin of this phrase is unclear, but it is believed to have originated from the spinning of a wheel or carousel. It has been used in various forms of literature and popular culture, such as songs and movies.

3. How is "Round and round she goes" related to science?

In science, this phrase can be used to describe many natural phenomena, such as the Earth's rotation around the sun, the water cycle, or the orbits of planets and moons. It can also be used to describe repetitive processes in experiments or research.

4. What are some similar phrases to "Round and round she goes"?

Other phrases that convey a similar meaning include "going in circles", "repetitive cycle", "endless loop", and "spinning around". These phrases are often used to describe situations or actions that are repetitive or cyclical in nature.

5. Can "Round and round she goes" have a negative connotation?

Yes, depending on the context, this phrase can have a negative connotation. It can be used to express frustration or annoyance at a repetitive or monotonous situation. However, it can also be used in a positive or neutral way to simply describe something that is circular or cyclical in nature.