Saddam's Fate: The Truth Behind the Rumors

• News
  • Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, there is evidence pointing in all directions regarding Saddam's current state, including disinformation from both sides. Some believe he is alive but not in Baghdad and that he is using body doubles for appearances. Others believe he is dead, and the performance of his military suggests problems with leadership. It is also suggested that Saddam may have already left Iraq and that there may never be concrete evidence of his death. The question is raised as to why there needs to be evidence of him being alive, rather than evidence of his death. Some argue that the war is ultimately about killing Saddam, while others question whether destroying a country is necessary to achieve this goal.
N_Quire
I am not sure whether Saddam is alive, injured, in control of the Republican Guard or not. There seems to be evidence pointing in all directions. Some of this could be disinformation from both sides.
What do you reckon? Any theories?

Physics news on Phys.org
My theory is that Saddam is alive but is not in Bagdah. In the first golf war, I heared Saddam lived in a small house and not in palace. The fact that he is not in Bagdah would explain we only see video recoding of its speech and message read by his associate.

Originally posted by N_Quire
There seems to be evidence pointing in all directions. Some of this could be disinformation from both sides.
What is the evidence that he is alive? I have seen nothing that would suggest he is. My guess is he died that first night of bombing.

I also believe he is dead. Otherwise there would be some evidence that he is alive. The performance of his military suggests that there are serious problems with leadership. This alone indicates that he is either dead or unable to lead.

Didn't you see him walking in the streets of baghdad ?
I Saw that on the Iraqi TV ... And the pictures where recently takes , becuase the smoke clearly appeared in the bakground of the vedio ...

Zargawee, that seemed to be Saddam but the newspapers here refuse to believe that it was conclusively him.

Honestly I think the whole second-guessing thing is getting pretty ridiculous. "Well, Wolf, it looked like Saddam, but he seemed thinner... that would suggest it's a body double. Or perhaps it was just a flattering new uniform..." Does it matter?

Maybe we should start asking if 'that tape was really George Bush?'
It has long been suspected that Mr Bush employs a string of lookalikes for difficult or dangerous speaking engagements, some of whom may have had their ears specially enlarged for the task.

Most of those who regularly monitor Mr Bush's speech patterns believe that it was the genuine article who spoke at Central Command HQ in Florida yesterday, pointing to a characteristic tendency toward quasi-biblical phrasing - "There will be a day of reckoning for the Iraqi regime, and that day is drawing in near" - and an almost total absence of words of more than three syllables.

Other experts disagree, pointing out that these consistencies originate with speech writers rather then the president himself, and that Bush's main vocal technique - the bewildered pause - is only too easy to imitate.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,923848,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first golf war, I heared Saddam lived in a small house and not in palace.
Whilst polishing his clubs of mass destruction, no doubt. :wink:

I would agree that Saddam has already left. If I was him, that's what I would do. Indeed, if he did try to leave now, it is unlikely he would be caught due to the confusion of war. The US administration also seem to have caught on to this, hence the new stance that the war was not about killing Saddam after all. Even if Saddam did die, we will never be able to prove it. Someone will always continue on in his name.

The newspaper thing is interesting. I don't quite see Saddam using his Just for Men to dye his mustache for the cameras...

The performance of his military suggests that there are serious problems with leadership.
Given the abilities of other dictators at personally leading their armies, eg. Stalin, Hitler etc, this would seem conclusive proof that Saddam is still alive and leading (or mis-leading) his army. :smile: But I fear leading the coalition into Baghdad is precisely what Saddam always wanted. Stalingrad ring a bell?

russ_watters: Why does there need to be evidence he is alive? Shouldn't there be evidence that he is dead instead? If we use your logic, we would never have gone to war in first place since Saddam was "clearly" no longer in charge of Iraq...

So, the pointvis, we are destroying a country to kill one man, and we can leave when he's dead?

1. Is there any evidence that Saddam Hussein is still alive?

No, there is no credible evidence that suggests Saddam Hussein is still alive. He was executed in 2006 after being found guilty of crimes against humanity.

2. Are there any conspiracy theories about Saddam Hussein's death?

Yes, there are various conspiracy theories surrounding Saddam Hussein's death, with some claiming that he faked his death or that his execution was staged. However, there is no solid evidence to support these theories.

3. Has anyone claimed to have seen Saddam Hussein alive after his execution?

Yes, there have been multiple claims of sightings of Saddam Hussein after his execution, but none of these claims have been substantiated with evidence. It is likely that these are false sightings or hoaxes.

4. Is there any reason to believe that Saddam Hussein may still be alive?

No, there is no logical reason to believe that Saddam Hussein may still be alive. The official records and testimonies from witnesses, including his own family members, confirm that he was executed in 2006.

5. How does the uncertainty surrounding Saddam Hussein's death impact his legacy?

The uncertainty surrounding Saddam Hussein's death may lead to speculation and conspiracy theories, but it does not change his legacy as a ruthless dictator responsible for countless human rights violations and atrocities. His execution and the end of his regime remain significant events in history.