So what exactly is love?

• Thread starter Ebolamonk3y
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of love and its various forms and expressions. The participants discuss love in relation to science, beauty, and spirituality. Some believe it is purely an instinct for reproduction, while others see it as a powerful force that transcends limitations and inspires actions. The conversation also touches on the role of alcohol and intoxication in experiencing love. One participant shares a quote about love being a form of temporary insanity. The conversation ends with a reminder of the love for one's country and a comparison of love to water and wisdom.
Ebolamonk3y
"Just because its not science does not necessarily mean its a bad thing... like Love for example..." RPF

So what exactly is love?

Love of science? Love of a girl/guy?

Anyone like to explain this? :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me, no more.

:biggrin: ver good dan! very good!

All through eternity

Beauty unveils His exquisite form

in the solitude of nothingness;

He holds a mirror to His Face

and beholds His own beauty.

he is the knower and the known,

the seer and the seen;

No eye but His own

has ever looked upon this Universe.

His every quality finds an expression:

Eternity becomes the verdant field of Time and Space;

Love, the life-giving garden of this world.

Every branch and leaf and fruit

Reveals an aspect of His perfection-

They cypress give hint of His majesty,

The rose gives tidings of His beauty.

Whenever Beauty looks,

Love is also there;

Whenever beauty shows a rosy cheek

Love lights Her fire from that flame.

When beauty dwells in the dark folds of night

Love comes and finds a heart

entangled in tresses.

Beauty and Love are as body and soul.

Beauty is the mine, Love is the diamond.

They have together

since the beginning of time-

Side by side, step by step.

A mystic once said:

"Love is Action, Action is Knowledge, Knowledge is Truth, Truth is Love"

... any thoughts on this? ... I don't [Italics]quiet[/Italics] get it.

Ebolamonk3y said:
So what exactly is love?
Life is a tree, love are the blossoms and the fruit that grow as it ages :smile:

the mystic must haven beenpretty trashed

Love is only an ancient instinct for reproduction.

Monique

I guess so, see how he goes on about drinking?

"Happy-checked saqi of mine, give the cup like pomegranate blossom; if for my sake you will not give for the sake of the heart of the Beloved.

Saqi [cup-bearer], you are the darling, you are the sick man's cure; quick give the draft of gladness and healing to the sick.

Pour wine out in this bowl, smite the nick of anxiety; now, do not break my heart, my heart and sweetheart, and give.

Open that tavern, abandon this rowdiness; give to the thirst-stricken lover from the vintner's vat.

You are the soul of spring and garden, the glory of cypress and jasmine; now make no excuses, roguish idol, but give!

When you set foot on trickery and start away from the drunkard's hands our enemy will rejoice; despite strangers, give!

Give not grief and sighing, open the way only to joy; a sigh proceeds from the wayless; open the way; give audience.

We are all intoxicated of the encounter, athirst for the bumper of immortality; as pawns, give robe and turban before the saqi.

I am athirst of old, hot of heart and breast; break the beaker and cup, give much without measure.

You are both moon and moonshine, I am the fish of this water; the moon cannot reach the fish, so give generously of the moonshine."

Monique, you should know this: Who said "It is a fool who drinks to stay within limits"? :wink:

I'll stop what is almost amounting to spamming this thread :smile:

jimmy p said:
Love is only an ancient instinct for reproduction.

Wow... Mr.Direct award goes to this unknown character Jimmy p! Gosh... So direct... I do not believe Love has the only purpose of procreating.

quddusaliquddus, care to give us the references for the two mystics you quoted?

Here's a hint: whenever someone says "love is ONLY so and so," you can safely disregard it. Especially if it involves chemicals or evolution.

quddusaliquddus said:
Monique, you should know this: Who said "It is a fool who drinks to stay within limits"? :wink:
Hah, I know :approve: dekho: Devdas..

Love is a form of temporary insanity that screws up your priorities - for a very long time if you're lucky.

Njorl

I was just quoting Marillion song lyrics from the song "This is the 21st Century"

One forgot the love for the motherland. :)

As fish is to water so the wisdom is to love.

1. What is the scientific definition of love?

Love is a complex emotion that involves a combination of feelings, behaviors, and thoughts. It is often described as a strong bond or connection between two individuals.

2. How does love affect the brain?

Studies have shown that love activates certain areas of the brain, including the reward and pleasure centers. It also triggers the release of hormones such as dopamine, oxytocin, and vasopressin, which are associated with feelings of happiness and attachment.

3. Can love be measured?

While love cannot be measured directly, researchers have developed various scales and questionnaires to measure different aspects of love, such as intimacy, commitment, and passion. These measures have been found to have good reliability and validity.

4. Is love a choice or a feeling?

This is a debated topic among scientists, but many believe that love is a combination of both a choice and a feeling. While we may have some control over who we love and how we express that love, there are also biological and psychological factors that influence our feelings of love.

5. Can love last forever?

There is no definitive answer to this question as every relationship is unique. However, studies have shown that long-term relationships require effort and maintenance to sustain feelings of love. It is also important for individuals to have a strong emotional connection and shared values to increase the likelihood of long-lasting love.