Limit of function with two variables

So the limit is 0.In summary, the limit of the function (x,y)->(0,0) of 4xy^2/(x^2+y^2) is equal to 0 as it approaches along any line on the plane, and can be easily proven using polar coordinates.
member 508213
I have a question for determining the limit of a function with two variables. My textbook says that the limit (x,y)->(0,0) of 4xy^2/(x^2+y^2)=0. This is true if we evaluate the limit if it approaches along the x-axis (y=0) or the y-axis (x=0) or any line on the plane y=kx. I am wondering if this is sufficient to prove the limit=0 if we only need approach with lines.

If for example we let y=x^(1/3) then the limit does not equal zero.

I am just starting multivariable calculus so the idea of multivariable limits is new to me, so I am not sure if the direction we choose has to be a straight line or if it can be along any path like y=x^(1/3)

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Edited answer.
Most functions you deal with at your level will be analytic functions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_function
Analytic functions are continuous and give the same value for the limit no matter what direction you approach the limit from. Moreover, the derivatives exist and don't depend on the direction. But there are also discontinuous functions which can have different limits depending on direction. An example is the step function.

Oops I should have read your post more carefully before responding. You claim that the limit is not 0 along the curve y=x^(1/3) but can you show what limit you get?

Last edited:
Austin said:
I have a question for determining the limit of a function with two variables. My textbook says that the limit (x,y)->(0,0) of 4xy^2/(x^2+y^2)=0. This is true if we evaluate the limit if it approaches along the x-axis (y=0) or the y-axis (x=0) or any line on the plane y=kx. I am wondering if this is sufficient to prove the limit=0 if we only need approach with lines.

If for example we let y=x^(1/3) then the limit does not equal zero.

I am just starting multivariable calculus so the idea of multivariable limits is new to me, so I am not sure if the direction we choose has to be a straight line or if it can be along any path like y=x^(1/3)

THanks
##\displaystyle \lim_{(x,y) \rightarrow 0} {f(x,y)}=0## means that the limit should be 0 no matter how (x,y) approaches (0,0). You are right about that.
However, the textbook is right that the the given function ##f(x,y)=\frac{4xy²}{x²+y²}## approaches 0 as (x,y) approaches (0,0).

You can deduce that from the following inequality:
##|f(x,y)|=|\frac{4xy²}{x²+y²}|\leq4\frac{|x|y²}{y²}=4|x|##

Last edited:
Concerning the inequality as a starting point, you can also go with something like this,

[itex]\forall x,y\in\mathbb R[/itex], [itex](x-y)^2≥0[/itex] always holds true.
That means
[itex]x^2+y^2≥2xy[/itex]
Or
[itex]\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{1}{2xy}[/itex]
Given that [itex]\forall x,y\neq 0[/itex]
Now multiply both sides with [itex]4xy^2[/itex] to obtain
[itex]\frac{4xy^2}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{4xy^2}{2xy}=2y[/itex]
So you can find the limit of your problem easier.

Silicon Waffle said:
Concerning the inequality as a starting point, you can also go with something like this,

[itex]\forall x,y\in\mathbb R[/itex], [itex](x-y)^2≥0[/itex] always holds true.
That means
[itex]x^2+y^2≥2xy[/itex]
Or
[itex]\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{1}{2xy}[/itex]
Given that [itex]\forall x,y\neq 0[/itex]
Now multiply both sides with [itex]4xy^2[/itex] to obtain
[itex]\frac{4xy^2}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{4xy^2}{2xy}=2y[/itex]
So you can find the limit of your problem easier.
Better use absolute values, because [itex]\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{1}{2xy}[/itex] won't be true if one of x or y are negative.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Samy_A said:
Better use absolute values, because [itex]\frac{1}{x^2+y^2}\leq\frac{1}{2xy}[/itex] won't be true if one of x or y are negative.
Yes, that is correct. Thanks Samy_A.

Samy_A said:
I once had a thesis (computer science) in hand in which exactly this has been used to prove a central theorem of it. :nb)

fresh_42 said:
I once had a thesis (computer science) in hand in which exactly this has been used to prove a central theorem of it. :nb)
Ouch. Was it fixable, or did they have to add the condition that x and y are >0 to that central theorem?

Samy_A said:
Ouch. Was it fixable, or did they have to add the condition that x and y are >0 to that central theorem?
I don't remember the outcome. I mentored a student whose task it was to elaborate the thesis. He found the error and it wasn't easily fixable. It was simply wrong. As we revealed it to the professor he simply replied: "So find another proof. The result is correct."
However, that was a bit beyond our scope. Examinations of algorithms in special computational classes tend to be very specific. Plus the author came from another place on this globe and had a different way to describe stuff.

Since [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]f measures the distance from (0, 0) to (x, y) no matter what the angle is, limits in two variables can often be done by converting to polar coordinates. Here, [itex]\frac{4xy^2}{x^2+ y^2}= \frac{4(r cos(\theta))(r^2 sin^2(\theta))}{r^2}= \frac{r^3}{r^2}cos(\theta)sin^2(\theta)= 4 cos(\theta)sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. As r goes to 0, that goes to 0 for any [itex]\theta[/itex].

Related to Limit of function with two variables

What is the definition of limit of function with two variables?

The limit of function with two variables is the value that a function approaches as the two variables approach a certain point, typically denoted as (x,y) → (a,b).

How do you calculate the limit of function with two variables?

The limit of function with two variables can be calculated by evaluating the function at different points along the path of approach and seeing if the values approach a certain value. This process is similar to finding the limit of a function with one variable.

What is the importance of understanding the limit of function with two variables?

Understanding the limit of function with two variables is crucial in many fields of science, especially in physics and engineering. It allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain point, which is essential in solving real-world problems.

What are some common misconceptions about the limit of function with two variables?

One common misconception is that the limit of function with two variables must exist for the function to be continuous. However, this is not always true as a function can be continuous at a point but not have a limit at that point. Another misconception is that the limit of function with two variables must exist along all paths of approach, but this is not necessarily the case.

How is the limit of function with two variables used in real-world applications?

The limit of function with two variables is used in many real-world applications such as predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, analyzing the stability of structures, and optimizing production processes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems in fields such as economics and ecology.