Limit of a sequence, with a real parameter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding a value for a that satisfies a given limit expression. The limit expression involves a square root function and a parameter a. The solution involves multiplying the expression by a fraction and then solving for the limit. The final answer is a = -1. However, the conversation also explores other possible values for a and discusses the validity of the work shown before arriving at the final answer.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

Find a, sucht that:

[tex]

\lim_{ x \to \infty }( a \sqrt{n+2} - \sqrt{n+1} ) ) = \infty(a+1)

[/tex]

Now, I want this sequence to have the limit 0. The first impule is to say that a+1 = 0 and hence a = -1. But if I do this I get [tex] \infty 0 [/tex] which can't be determined. The paradox is that a = -1 works, because if a = -1 then indeed the sequence tends to 0. So, what am I missing? Can you help me, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DorelXD said:

Homework Statement

Find a, sucht that:

[tex]

[/tex]
Where did you get this problem? We never do arithmetic with ∞.

Also, the limit should probably be as n approaches ∞, not x.
DorelXD said:
Now, I want this sequence to have the limit 0. The first impule is to say that a+1 = 0 and hence a = -1. But if I do this I get [tex] \infty 0 [/tex] which can't be determined. The paradox is that a = -1 works, because if a = -1 then indeed the sequence tends to 0. So, what am I missing? Can you help me, please?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

DorelXD said:

Homework Statement

Find a, sucht that:

[tex]

[/tex]

Now, I want this sequence to have the limit 0.

So do you really mean the problem is to find ##a## such that$$
\lim_{n\to\infty}(a\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n+1})=0\text{ ?}$$If so, try multiplying by$$
\frac{a\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n+1}}{a\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n+1}}$$

LCKurtz said:
So do you really mean the problem is to find ##a## such that$$
\lim_{n\to\infty}(a\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n+1})=0\text{ ?}$$If so, try multiplying by$$
\frac{a\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n+1}}{a\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n+1}}$$
Thank you for your answer! But, I figured it out myself. The sequence tends to [atex] \infty (a+1) [/atex], with a a real parameter. We want the sequence to tend to 0. Now, it's obvious that we have three main cases:

1) a>0 which means that our sequence tends to infinity

2) a = -1 we get infinity times 0 which is not defined.

3) a < -1 we get -infinity

So, we find a necessary condition, a = -1, and we check to see if in this case our sequence tends to 0 . By pluging a and solving the limit we get indeed that our limit tends to 0. :)

DorelXD said:
Thank you for your answer! But, I figured it out myself. The sequence tends to [atex] \infty (a+1) [/atex], with a a real parameter.
Two things:
1. ∞(a + 1) is not a valid expression. You cannot substitute values of a here and get a result that's meaningful.
2. This site doesn't recognize atex. Use tex or itex in your tags.
DorelXD said:
We want the sequence to tend to 0. Now, it's obvious that we have three main cases:

1) a>0 which means that our sequence tends to infinity

2) a = -1 we get infinity times 0 which is not defined.

3) a < -1 we get -infinity

So, we find a necessary condition, a = -1, and we check to see if in this case our sequence tends to 0 . By pluging a and solving the limit we get indeed that our limit tends to 0. :)
This also makes no sense. If a = -1, your limit expression is
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} [(-1)\sqrt{n + 2} - \sqrt{n + 1}~] = -\lim_{n \to \infty}[\sqrt{n + 2} + \sqrt{n + 1}~]$$
Clearly both square roots get large without bound, so the limit is -∞ when a = -1.

1. ∞(a + 1) is not a valid expression. You cannot substitute values of a here and get a result that's meaningful.

This is true, but writing the value of the limit like this, helps to vizualize the cases which needs to be discussed for a. Clearly, you can't substitute values.

2. This site doesn't recognize atex. Use tex or itex in your tags.

I've just discovered that, thank you very much for your advice .

This also makes no sense. If a = -1, your limit expression is

For this, I'm deeply sorry, because I trancsribed the exercise with a mistake. The original exercise was:

[tex]

\lim_{ x \to \infty }( a \sqrt{n+2} + \sqrt{n+1} )

[/tex]

It is correct now, right ?

We're still trying to understand what the problem is. Is it this?
Find a such that
$$ \lim_{ n \to \infty }( a \sqrt{n+2} + \sqrt{n+1} ) = 0$$

If so, follow the advice given by LCKurtz in post #3, with one slight change -- the sign between the radicals should be - in both numerator and denominator.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
We're still trying to understand what the problem is. Is it this?

If so, follow the advice given by LCKurtz in post #3, with one slight change -- the sign between the radicals should be - in both numerator and denominator.

Yes, this is. I had done what LCKrutz said before I posted, but it didin't help me. And I strongly believe that my solution is correct, isn't it ?

DorelXD said:
Yes, this is. I had done what LCKrutz said before I posted, but it didin't help me.
It worked for me. I took the limit using LCKurtz's tip and got an expression that involved a (and that does NOT include ∞). Then it's easy to show that the only value of a that yields 0 in that expression is a = -1.
DorelXD said:
And I strongly believe that my solution is correct, isn't it ?

Your solution of a = -1? Yes, I agree here, but the value is almost beside the point. The work that you showed before was not valid, which tends to cast a dark shadow over any result you got.

Mark44 said:
It worked for me. I took the limit using LCKurtz's tip and got an expression that involved a (and that does NOT include ∞). Then it's easy to show that the only value of a that yields 0 in that expression is a = -1. Your solution of a = -1? Yes, I agree here, but the value is almost beside the point. The work that you showed before was not valid, which tends to cast a dark shadow over any result you got.

Okay, but can you please explain me why my work isn't valid ? :D . I don't understand that but I would really like to :D .

As soon as you write down that the limit is equal to [itex] \infty(a+1)[/itex] you have written down a statement that means nothing. If I tell you the limit is [itex] ponies*(a+1)[/itex] and therefore a=-1, how confident would you feel? Writing down infinity like that is the same thing. Here is an example to show the danger:
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} n \frac{1}{n}\ ?=?\ \infty*0\ ?=?\ 0 [/tex]

is clearly false. The problem was when I wrote down infinity times zero and thought that I wrote down something meaningful.

Sure. Here is what you first posted, with the correction to the limit expression that you gave later.
DorelXD said:
Find a, such that:

[tex]\lim_{ x \to \infty }( a \sqrt{n+2} + \sqrt{n+1} ) ) = \infty(a+1)[/tex]
First off, you CANNOT use ∞ in an expression and then do arithmetic on it. It makes zero sense to say (or write) that the value of a limit is ∞ * (a + 1).
DorelXD said:
Now, I want this sequence to have the limit 0. The first impule is to say that a+1 = 0 and hence a = -1. But if I do this I get [tex] \infty 0 [/tex] which can't be determined.

The paradox is that a = -1 works, because if a = -1 then indeed the sequence tends to 0.

What you should NOT do is assume any particular value for the limit. Use the hint that LCKurtz gave to find the value of the limit, which will be an expression in a. Then show that the only way for this expression to be zero is when a = -1.

You said you had tried doing what LCKurtz suggested earlier, but that it didn't help. Show us what you did, and we'll steer you in the right direction.

Thank you both for your answers. I get it now. Well, I multiplied with the conjugate expresion (I'm used with that trick, it was the first thing I tried) and it led me to: [tex] \frac{ a^2n+2a^2 -n -1 }{a\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n+1}} [/tex]

From here, I couldn't continue. :D

DorelXD said:
Thank you both for your answers. I get it now. Well, I multiplied with the conjugate expresion (I'm used with that trick, it was the first thing I tried) and it led me to: [tex] \frac{ a^2n+2a^2 -n -1 }{a\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n+1}} [/tex]

From here, I couldn't continue. :D

Hint: As long as there are ##n##'s in the numerator vs. only ##\sqrt n##'s in the denominator, the fraction isn't going to go to zero.

Hmmmmm, I still don't get it. :D .

I factored n out of all four terms in the numerator, and ##\sqrt{n}## out of the two terms in the denominator.

The idea is that ##\sqrt{n + 1} = \sqrt{n}\sqrt{1 + 1/n}##.

LCKurtz said:
Hint: As long as there are ##n##'s in the numerator vs. only ##\sqrt n##'s in the denominator, the fraction isn't going to go to zero.

DorelXD said:
Hmmmmm, I still don't get it. :D .

Can you choose ##a## so they aren't there?

Mark44 said:
I factored n out of all four terms in the numerator, and ##\sqrt{n}## out of the two terms in the denominator.

The idea is that ##\sqrt{n + 1} = \sqrt{n}\sqrt{1 + 1/n}##.

Ok, so I get that:

[itex] \sqrt{n} \frac{a^2 + \frac{2a2}{n} - 1 - \frac{1}{n}}{a\sqrt{1 + 2/n} - \sqrt{1+1/n}} [/itex]

What's next ? I'm tempted to write that this tends to infinty times (a+1) .

Related to Limit of a sequence, with a real parameter

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence with a real parameter?

The limit of a sequence with a real parameter is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the parameter approaches a specific value, typically denoted as n → a or x → c.

2. How is the limit of a sequence with a real parameter calculated?

The limit of a sequence with a real parameter can be calculated by plugging in the specific value of the parameter into the sequence and observing the resulting values. Alternatively, one can use methods such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test to calculate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a finite limit and an infinite limit of a sequence with a real parameter?

A finite limit of a sequence with a real parameter means that the terms of the sequence approach a specific value as the parameter approaches a certain value. An infinite limit means that the terms of the sequence approach either positive or negative infinity as the parameter approaches a certain value.

4. Can the limit of a sequence with a real parameter exist even if the sequence does not converge?

Yes, the limit of a sequence with a real parameter can exist even if the sequence does not converge. This can happen when the terms of the sequence oscillate between two values as the parameter approaches a certain value, resulting in a limit that does not exist.

5. How does the behavior of the terms of a sequence affect the limit of a sequence with a real parameter?

The behavior of the terms of a sequence can greatly influence the limit of a sequence with a real parameter. For example, if the terms of the sequence become increasingly larger or smaller as the parameter approaches a certain value, the limit may approach positive or negative infinity. If the terms of the sequence approach a specific value or alternate between two values as the parameter approaches a certain value, the limit will approach that specific value or not exist, respectively.