Seen St Elmo's Fire in Real Life?

• Thread starter mmwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary: It is caused by an electrical discharge from the atmosphere during thunderstorms. While it is not a common occurrence, it can be seen in everyday life and is often associated with ball lightning. So, in summary, St. Elmo's fire, also known as corona discharge, is a weather phenomenon that can be seen in the real world and is associated with thunderstorms. It is named after Saint Elmo, the patron saint of sailors.
mmwave
Has anyone seen St. Elmo's fire, also known as corona discharge in everyday life?

I've seen in it a lab demonstration but I'm curious what it actually looks like in the real world and how common it is.

If you model a ship's spar as a long perfectly conducting cylinder then by solving poisson's equation you can show that at the top and bottom sides of the cylinder (long dimension is horizontal) the electric field is twice that of the applied field. So whenever the electric potential from cloud to sky is more than 1/2 the breakdown voltage you should see the discharge.

I guess I'm not very lucky since I've never seen it.

Physics news on Phys.org
St. Elmo's fire is a weather phenomenon that occurs during thunderstorms. It is a bright glow that appears in the air around a pointed object, such as a ship's mast or a lightning rod. It is sometimes associated with ball lightning, an electrical phenomenon that appears during thunderstorms.

St. Elmo's fire is named after Saint Erasmus of Formia, an Italian saint. He is the patron saint of sailors. Sailors often saw St. Elmo's fire, also known as corposants, when out at sea. Saint Elmo is the patron saint of sailors. Saint Elmo's Fire can be seen in the form of a bright glow around the top of a pointed object, such as a ship's mast or a lightning rod.

1. What is St Elmo's Fire and where is it seen?

St Elmo's Fire is a natural phenomenon that occurs when a strong electric field creates a glowing plasma discharge around pointed objects such as ship masts, lightning rods, or even aircraft wings. It is most commonly seen during thunderstorms at sea or in mountainous regions.

2. How does St Elmo's Fire form?

St Elmo's Fire is formed when a strong electric field ionizes the air molecules around pointed objects, causing them to glow. This can happen when there is a buildup of electrical charge in the atmosphere, such as during a thunderstorm.

3. Is St Elmo's Fire dangerous?

No, St Elmo's Fire is not dangerous to humans. It is a natural phenomenon that does not produce any harmful effects. However, it is a sign of high electrical activity in the atmosphere, so it is best to seek shelter if you see it during a thunderstorm.

4. Can St Elmo's Fire be seen on land?

While St Elmo's Fire is most commonly seen at sea, it can also occur on land. It is more likely to be seen in open, elevated areas such as mountains, where there is less interference from other objects.

5. How long does St Elmo's Fire last?

The duration of St Elmo's Fire varies depending on the strength of the electric field and the atmospheric conditions. It can last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes. However, it usually disappears once the electrical charge in the atmosphere dissipates.