Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Limit (indeterminate form)

Barioth

Jan 17, 2013
Hi, I have a question that is very close the the one of the OP so I tough I should post in here instead of making a new thread. (Hope no one mind )

Let's say

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\pm\infty}x(log \sqrt{x} - log(\sqrt{x}-y)-\frac{y}{\sqrt{x}} )=\frac{y^2}{2}\)

Now I could use taylor series to evaluate it, is there another way? (I find using taylor series very long)

Thanks for passing by!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hi, I have a question that is very close the the one of the OP so I tough I should post in here instead of making a new thread. (Hope no one mind )

Let's say

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\pm\infty}x(log \sqrt{x} - log(\sqrt{x}-y)-\frac{y}{\sqrt{x}} )=\frac{y^2}{2}\)

Now I could use taylor series to evaluate it, is there another way? (I find using taylor series very long)

Thanks for passing by!
Well, let's substitute $u = \sqrt x$.
Note that the limit can only exist if x is positive.

Then you get
$$\lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log(u-y)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log\big( u(1-\frac y u)\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(- \log\big(1-\frac y u\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
$$
Now do a Taylor expansion with \(\displaystyle \frac y u\)...

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Well, let's substitute $u = \sqrt x$.
Note that the limit can only exist if x is positive.

Then you get
$$\lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log(u-y)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(\log u - \log\big( u(1-\frac y u)\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
= \lim_{u \to \infty}u^2\left(- \log\big(1-\frac y u\big)-\frac{y}{u} \right)
$$
Now do a Taylor expansion with \(\displaystyle \frac y u\)...
You could at this point let $1 - \dfrac{y}{u} = e^p$ so that $u \to \infty$ gives $p \to 0$ and turn the limit into one that you can use L'Hopital's rule on.