Limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field for an electric quadrupole with zero net charge and net dipole moment. Part a asks for the electric field along the x axis for x > a, which is given by the formula \vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{1}_{(x+a)^{2}}} + \frac{1}_{(x-a)^{2}}} - \frac{2}_{x^{2}}}\right]\hat{j}. Part b asks to show that for x >> a, the electric field varies by x^-4 and to find the coefficient. To find this, one can use the binomial series approximation formula for (1+y)^p and write the quantity \frac
Monocles
This is for my intro physics 2 class

Homework Statement

Consider the charges Q at (-a, 0), -2Q at (0, 0) and Q at (a, 0). Such a combination of charges, with zero net charge and with zero net dipole moment, is called an electric quadrupole. a. Find the electric field along the x acis, for x > a. b. Show that, for x >> a, the electric field varies by x^-4. Find the coefficient.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{kQ}_{r^{2}}\hat{r}[/tex]

Here is the answer I got for part a which was correct.

[tex] \vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{1}_{(x+a)^{2}}} + \frac{1}_{(x-a)^{2}}} - \frac{2}_{x^{2}}}\right]\hat{j}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got for part b:

[tex] \vec{E} = 2kQ\left[\frac{1}_{x^{2}}} - \frac{1}_{x^{2}}}\right]\hat{j} = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to get the book's answer of

[tex] \frac{6a^{2}}_{x^{4}}}\hat{j} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Monocles,

Monocles said:
This is for my intro physics 2 class

Homework Statement

Consider the charges Q at (-a, 0), -2Q at (0, 0) and Q at (a, 0). Such a combination of charges, with zero net charge and with zero net dipole moment, is called an electric quadrupole. a. Find the electric field along the x acis, for x > a. b. Show that, for x >> a, the electric field varies by x^-4. Find the coefficient.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{kQ}_{r^{2}}\hat{r}[/tex]

Here is the answer I got for part a which was correct.

[tex] \vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{1}_{(x+a)^{2}}} + \frac{1}_{(x-a)^{2}}} - \frac{2}_{x^{2}}}\right]\hat{j}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got for part b:

[tex] \vec{E} = 2kQ\left[\frac{1}_{x^{2}}} - \frac{1}_{x^{2}}}\right]\hat{j} = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to get the book's answer of

[tex] \frac{6a^{2}}_{x^{4}}}\hat{j} [/tex]

You do not want to set:

[tex]
\frac{1}{(x+a)^2} \longrightarrow \frac{1}{x^2}
[/tex]
because you'll lose the part you're looking for.

Have you seen the binomial series approximation formula for [itex](1+y)^p[/itex] when y is small? You can write your quantity [itex]\frac{1}{(x+a)^2}[/itex] (and the other term, too) in that form and then use the formula to get the answer.

First of all, great job on part a! Your solution is correct and shows a good understanding of the concept of an electric quadrupole.

For part b, it seems like you have made a small mistake in your calculation. Let's take a closer look at the electric field equation for an electric quadrupole:

\vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{1}{(x+a)^{2}} + \frac{1}{(x-a)^{2}} - \frac{2}{x^{2}}\right]\hat{j}

When you substitute in x >> a, you get:

\vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{1}{x^{2}} + \frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{2}{x^{2}}\right]\hat{j}

Notice that when you combine the fractions, you get:

\vec{E} = kQ\left[\frac{2}{x^{2}} - \frac{2}{x^{2}}\right]\hat{j} = 0

This is why you got an answer of 0 in your attempt. However, the book's answer is actually:

\vec{E} = 2kQ\left[\frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{1}{x^{2}}\right]\hat{j} = 0

To get the book's answer, you need to expand the fractions before combining them:

\vec{E} = 2kQ\left[\frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{1}{x^{2}}\right]\hat{j} = 2kQ\left[\frac{x^{2}}{x^{4}} - \frac{x^{2}}{x^{4}}\right]\hat{j} = \frac{6a^{2}}{x^{4}}\hat{j}

I hope this clears up any confusion and helps you understand the concept better. Keep up the good work!

Related to Limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole

1. What is the concept of "limit at infinity" in an electric quadrupole?

The "limit at infinity" of an electric quadrupole refers to the behavior of the electric potential and electric field as the distance from the quadrupole increases infinitely. It is a measure of how the electric field strength decreases with distance.

2. How is the limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole calculated?

The limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole is typically calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the distance from the quadrupole, the charge distribution, and the orientation of the quadrupole. These formulas can be found in most physics textbooks and online resources.

3. What is the physical significance of the limit at infinity in an electric quadrupole?

The limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole has physical significance as it determines the strength and direction of the electric field at far distances from the quadrupole. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of electric potential and electric field in complex systems involving multiple charges.

4. Can the limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole be negative?

Yes, the limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole can be negative. This indicates that the electric field strength decreases in the opposite direction of the quadrupole moment, meaning the electric field points towards the quadrupole rather than away from it.

5. How does the limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole relate to other concepts in electromagnetism?

The limit at infinity of an electric quadrupole is related to other concepts in electromagnetism, such as electric potential and electric field strength. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of electric dipoles and higher-order multipole moments. Additionally, the limit at infinity is used in the calculation of other physical quantities, such as the dipole moment and the electric field potential.